How do I add a set of parents that are missing from an existing tree?

+1 vote
Is it possible to insert a set of parents that are missing form an existing tree?
asked in WikiTree Help by Jamie McDaniel G2G Crew (350 points)

2 Answers

+3 votes
Click the Edit tab, then on the right side of the Edit page, there are links to "add fater" or "add mother"
answered by Dennis Wheeler G2G6 Pilot (389k points)
The problem is there is already a "father" listed, but the listed father is actually the persons grandfather.  And it does not give me the option to "add a father" (because one is listed)

There is not a listed "mother" and for some reason it wont let me edit/add the actual mother with out a DOB, which is unknown.

So, I need to add parents in the middle of an existing tree.  Not sure if its possible and if it will mess up things...

Does that make sense??

(I'm trying to correct an existing tree)
If you are certain of the father, then you need to detach him first, then add the correct one, then re-add the grandfather as father to the father.
never be afraid of messing up -- its almost impossible to do (because there's a change history)

the "add" link I mentioned, is really an "add/remove" link.

just follow Melanie's instructions.

if you get stuck... just post the link, and a hundred folks will eagerly jump in and do it for you :)

if you get stuck... just post the link, and a hundred folks will eagerly jump in and do it for you :)


Only 100?! surprise 

At least 100 … being a girl, I don't know from numbers, however I don't know what Dennis' excuse is <grin>.

I think I did it!

Thank ya'll so much!


awesome !
+3 votes
If you have sources for each parent, then, go to one of the children’s profiles. On the edit page, down the right-hand side you will see ‘add mother’ or ‘add father’. Click and follow the prompts.
answered by Marion Poole G2G6 Pilot (190k points)

Related questions

+6 votes
1 answer
+3 votes
2 answers
81 views asked Sep 3, 2018 in WikiTree Help by Brenda Gregg G2G4 (4.8k points)
+5 votes
2 answers
+1 vote
1 answer
+2 votes
1 answer
47 views asked May 25, 2018 in Genealogy Help by Terry Visage G2G Crew (380 points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright