The Connectors WILL be using the Challenge Tracker. You can use an Answer or the Tracker for your connection, but NOT both. So let's begin another month of connecting the unconnected across WikiTree. We'll get the project page updated soon with last month's tallies, but for now, it's time to start connecting!
Jan/Feb 2018 top connector was Linda Barnett with 129 connections.
Thanks to all of you who participated the Dec 2017/ Jan 2018 Challenge. If you haven't checked out the Connectors Chat page, you should! There is a lot of chatter there about what everyone is working on.
Now on to the Connectors Challenge Rules:
- Pick any WikiTree profile which is not connected to the main tree. (In other words, that profile does not have a box at the bottom of the page, showing the degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon and Queen Elizabeth II.) You can look for unconnected profiles using the Unconnected People tool, the Unconnected Profiles category, the Unlinked_Profiles category, or you may run across an unconnected profile in the regular course of your research.
- Either add a new profile for a first degree relative (parent, spouse, sibling, or child) of the person on that profile as a link toward a connected profile, or else connect an existing profile on WikiTree to the profile you're working on.
- Add a source to the profiles involved in the connection showing the relationship between the two profiles. This could be a census record listing a family, a marriage record, a death record listing the spouse and/or parents, a birth record listing the parents, or any source which demonstrates that the two profiles should be connected to one another. Your source needs to be cited as closely to the style recommended on our Sources help page as possible to count towards your tally.
- If you are adding a new profile, add a second, independent source for that profile. (For example, if you add a spouse because of a marriage record, then look for a birth or death record for the spouse you're adding.) (Note: The reason for this rule isn't to discourage you from adding people. But as you have probably already learned, even official documents frequently misspell names, so adding an independent confirmation of the name helps to save other researchers time in trying to find records that don't exist, because the person's real name was not the same as showed up in the linking document.)
- Answer this post, creating a numbered list only if you aren’t using the Tracker, and including the two profiles and the kind of source you used to make the connection. (For example: "1. Smith-123 added as spouse of Jones-456, Anytown VR) You only need to reply once. As you make more connections, just edit your post to add your new connections. REMEMBER - The Challenge Tracker WILL be used.
- If you connect a profile which completes a connection trail either for an isolated profile or an unconnected tree, please add "Connected!" at the end of the line which made the connection. We count those connecteds towards your tally.
- The tally is of branches/unconnected profiles connected to the WikiTree tree, not sources or profiles added. That said, if you can add a number of sources to a profile, all the better, and sometimes a connection will take a number of profiles to get added. Every one is different, and each one makes our tree better. So, in short, we'll count each "connected!" we see.
- If either or both profiles you connect did not have good sources before and were already on WikiTree, then you can also count those sources towards the Sourcerers Challenge.
- All participants who do not already have a Connectors Project badge, will get one. Winners each month-the person with the most connections made to the tree-will get the Connection Challenge Winner badge, and the Top Connector each month with get a spiffy template to wear on their profile page. Stats will be kept on the Connectors Challenge page, just like we do for the Sourcerers Challenge.
See last month's challenge as an example. Ask questions in the comments section here. Thank you!
WikiTree profile: Space:Connectors_Challenge