Is there a really easy way of typing the pipe used in the templates without cutting and pasting every time? [closed]

+5 votes
Sometimes by mistake, I delete the pipe and my only way of getting it back is to go back to the help page and cut and paste the template.
closed with the note: Pipe found!
in WikiTree Help by Simon Ross G2G6 Mach 2 (24.6k points)
closed by Jillaine Smith
Please don't be alarmed. I retagged your question for "templates" rather than "tags" because the thingies that use pipes are formally called "templates" ("tags" are used here in G2G).
hehe! I fixed up the question too.
Simon, I use a clipboard app in a chrome extention. I keep all of my frequently used templates in it!

No page visiting, just a click on the clipboard app, cut and paste. VOILA.

6 Answers

+11 votes
Best answer

Easy! It does depend on which type of keyboard you have, but on mine it's bottom left, above the backslash (so you would have to type Shift).  On others, it's near the Enter key.


by Ros Haywood G2G Astronaut (1.6m points)
selected by Simon Ross
+8 votes
Which keyboard do you use? The pipe symbol (|) is available on most but its position can vary. Frequently over the left/back slash character (\).
by Doug McCallum G2G6 Pilot (484k points)
+7 votes
The key for typing the pipe is right above the right side shift key on most QWERTY keyboards.  It is the \ + shift to give you |

Hope that helps
by Amy Gilpin G2G6 Pilot (171k points)
+7 votes
On Slovenian keyboard (QWERTZ) it is written by pressing <AltGr> + w. AltGr is the ALT key on the right of the space key.

Maybe this is the case on some other european keyboards.
by AleŇ° Trtnik G2G6 Pilot (709k points)
+10 votes
It's ASCII symbol 124 so if it's not on your keyboard, hold down the Alt key and type 124 and the pipe should appear.
by Stu Ward G2G6 Pilot (104k points)
Great tip.
+8 votes
Ah... I found it. It was there all along above the backslash but my pipe is broken so I did not realise it was the right one. Thanks all, for your timely answers.
by Simon Ross G2G6 Mach 2 (24.6k points)
Mine is broken too. Never realized before that was the pipe.
The symbol being broken in the middle is how it was when I first started working with computers. Eventually they became separate characters in some character sets. The term "pipe" comes from its use in the UNIX operating system

Related questions

+3 votes
4 answers
338 views asked Nov 29, 2019 in Policy and Style by Andrew Lancaster G2G6 Pilot (120k points)
+10 votes
7 answers
+8 votes
2 answers
+13 votes
3 answers
120 views asked Feb 20, 2015 in WikiTree Tech by S Willson G2G6 Pilot (203k points)

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright