I’ve just adopted the profile of my 6th-great-grandmother Mercy, the wife of Ephraim Covell. There are a number of issues with this profile, and I would like to make some major change, but because a number of people have contributed to it I would like some community input before I make them.
Here are the problems that I see:
(1) She is linked to George and Mehitable (Knowles) Brown as her parents. That is very unlikely. George Brown’s will (made in 1721) lists four children, including a daughter, Mercy. But that Mercy Brown married John Walker in 1711, and she was living as his wife as late as 1728 (and possibly much later).
(2) In addition, I have found no reference for the last name Brown. (An Ephraim Covell did marry a Mercy Brown in 1730, but this was after the children shown in the profile were born, and in the case of Thankful (Covell) Nickerson after she was married).
(3) None of the source links lead anywhere. One was a link to Torrey, but Torrey says the wife of Ephraim Covell was Mercy _____. Another was a link to an SAR membership application, but the Ephraim Covell shown there was a Revolutionary War ancestor, and the present Ephraim Covell’s will was proved in 1753. There was an Ancestry family tree link, and what was apparently that tree shows Ephraim’s wife as Mercy Brown, but its citation for the marriage is the aforementioned Torrey reference.
Here are the changes I propose to make:
(1) Unlink Mercy from her claimed parents.
(2) Change her LNAB to Unknown.
(3) Delete all of the sources and replace them with real ones.
(4) Explain all of the above in a Research Note.