Join in on this week's 24-hour Saturday Sourcing Sprint!
It's basically a casual mini Source-a-Thon.
When it's Saturday where YOU are, get sourcing!
(And quit when it's Sunday)
Anytime you want to compete for the Weekly Winners badge, click answer at the bottom of this post, We use the Challenge Tracker to record the profiles we sources.
Tell us about your successes, discrepancies, stories that tug at your heart strings, and new amazing sources. We have a Google Hangout if you'd like to join us. It will be as busy or quiet as we make it.
- All profiles improved must come from the Unsourced categories or be already present on WikiTree and only have links to other profiles, links to search results from another genealogy website, or the words "Ancestry tree," "Geni.com," "Pedigree Resource Files" from FamilySearch, and the like. Do not delete these items as they can provide clues for other researchers.
- If you cannot find any sources, create a Research Notes section, list where you tried to find records, and add four tildes to the end of your note as a date stamp (you won't see it until you save). Do not remove the Unsourced Template and do not use the tracker or count in your tally. Example:
- "Looked for John in the US Census records for 1900-1940 and couldn't find him on FamilySearch or Ancestry"
- Sources citations need to provide a way for anyone to find the source. We strive for the Evidence Explained format to tell where, what, who, and when, as well as where the was source was found. Do not delete existing items in the Sources area as they can provide clues for other researchers.
- If you add a source which names other family members, check to see if their profiles exist.
- If not, add [[Category:Needs Profiles Created]] to the first line of the edit box
- If so and there are no sources, add the source. Use the tracker to count that profile too
See the Sprint Help Page for full details.
When you save the profile, a green bar for the Challenge Tracker will appear at the top. Due to the security changes for the implementation of GDPR regulations, unlisted profiles are not eligible for challenge tracking.
For all others, click the Challenge Tracker button, add or verify your WikiTreeID, select a pre-defined comment or add your own to indicate which type(s) of source(s) you added, put a check mark in the "Saturday Sourcing Sprint" box, and click "Add Action." If you participate in the Monthly Sourcerers' Challenge you can click both boxes. For visual learners, this YouTube video starting at about the 4.30 minute mark will explain how to use the tracker (earlier parts of the video explain how to find sources and add the citations to profiles).
You can track your progress on the Challenge Tracker report.
Don't forget to remove the Unsourced template if you are able to add a source!