in terms of sources are IGI data acceptable, also in UK St Catherine House register of BMD and Parish Registers.

+2 votes
in Genealogy Help by John Gabriel G2G1 (1.5k points)
retagged by Ellen Smith

1 Answer

+5 votes
"St Catherine's House" is now called "The General Register Office".  It is a centralised database of birth, marriage, and death certificates (which you order).  You can also order them from the local register office.

The GRO does not hold parish registers.

IGI data: if it was 'member-submitted' it is pretty much the same as trees i.e. not acceptable.

If it was 'extracted from', it is a direct extraction from parish registers.

The IGI is no longer in use.
by Ros Haywood G2G Astronaut (1.2m points)

Just to add to Ros's comment. The GRO has a free to use online index for births  to 1918 and burials to 1957.It has the advantage that it includes mothers maiden names for births,  and ages at death. These were not in the  original indexes for older records.  For other dates most of the old index books are indexed on

Thank you for this. I have not been there for a few years so am obviously out of date!

Thank you for your quick reply.

 Being a newbie to WT may I ask your indulgence for a bit of extra clarification?

 As you doubtless know In terms of GRO they provide  'Year/ Qtr/Forenames/ Registration District/Age/Vol./Page' . Is this acceptable as a source in terms of supporting Birth, Death or Marriage in a particular quarter and registration district.?

 For some Parish Registers, if I have a scanned copy of a particular page/record should I just refer to it as the source or should I attach a copy?

 Many thanks.

Yes, the year/quarter is an acceptable source.  The only other thing you could do is buy the certificate! and most of us don't have that kind of money.  This is what I usually put:
England & Wales birth registration: Yeovil [district], Volume 5c, Page 43, June quarter 1903, mother's maiden name SMITH

If you have a scanned copy of a parish register page - it depends where it came from.  Did you download it from a site like Ancestry or FindmyPast? in which case their Terms & Conditions forbid it (because they spent the money scanning it).

 Time does have a tendency to rush by, St Catherine's house isn't even called that now, nor owned by the government

Re parish records, a lot of archives also put copyright notices on their copies. You can cite it with something like 

Somewhereshire Records Office, Baptism Register, St Andrews, Newtown (plus ref number if you have it). Even better is then to add a transcript  1868, 1 February,  John son of Fred and Ann  Smith  labourer, Little Newtown 

You may also be able to find the entry somewhere else that is freely available and you could then  also link to an online image/transcript/index 

Thank you. Most helpful
Many thanks. Now I have a far better idea as to what formats to use to assemble what I already have in excel and other places.

Related questions

+3 votes
4 answers
+5 votes
3 answers
159 views asked Feb 20, 2017 in Genealogy Help by Robynne Lozier G2G6 Pilot (886k points)
+9 votes
4 answers
329 views asked Aug 17, 2014 in The Tree House by Cynthia B G2G6 Pilot (127k points)
+14 votes
6 answers
263 views asked Apr 4, 2019 in Policy and Style by Leif Biberg Kristensen G2G6 Pilot (104k points)
+4 votes
1 answer
72 views asked Feb 3 in The Tree House by Beulah Cramer G2G6 Pilot (256k points)
+7 votes
4 answers
176 views asked Apr 6, 2017 in Policy and Style by Steve Bartlett G2G6 Mach 3 (36.8k points)
+21 votes
3 answers
218 views asked Sep 29, 2015 in The Tree House by Dale Gatherum-Goss G2G6 Mach 2 (21.2k points)
+7 votes
1 answer
139 views asked Jun 27, 2019 in The Tree House by Vivian Egan G2G6 Mach 7 (72.4k points)
+19 votes
4 answers

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright