I need to change my name from my married name to my maiden name. I don’t know how to do this.

+3 votes
I need to change my name from my married name to my maiden name.  I don’t know how to do this.
in WikiTree Help by Janet Cobb G2G Crew (380 points)

3 Answers

+2 votes
I had to go before a judge to add my bio father's name to my blank birth certificate.

I am sure you will have to do the same for the same reasons the Lawyer gave to me.

1st- They have to make sure their is a legitimate reason to do so.

2- they have to make sure you are not in debt, involved in a crime, do a financial and criminal background check.

3.they must determine if it will be detrimental to any children or other family that your name is connected to.

Good luck. Much success
by Donna Angel DeMarco G2G2 (2.1k points)
Donna, I think Janet is trying to edit her LNAB on Wikitree, not in a court of law.

I've mentioned this on G2G before, but I was given a LNAB that does not belong to either of my biological parents! And no, I wasn't adopted nor am I, strictly speaking, an NPE. My mother had been divorced from her husband (who gave me his last name) for 10 years around the time I was born, no one seriously thought he was my father. My LNAB resulted from the bizarre personal decisions made by my parents.
Her question did not specify what her reason for asking was.

I answered based on my life experience in a way that I thought she may be referring to.

You answered in a way, you thought she was referring to.

Only She knows in what way she was asking...but after her explanation it seemed to be more like mine. Considering I was also given a false name at birth by my bio mother which could only be corrected by adding my actual maiden name to my birth certificate via a order by the courts.

Thank you.
Yes, quite familiar with that -- had a case where the parents were amid a divorce, and a child was born, but it was not the child of the man in the divorce, whose surname was on her b.c.

I was asked about this by her, and I said if at some point when she was 18 or older and she wanted to fix the surname on her birth record she could do so with the advice of a lawyer who would tell her what other items she would need --
+4 votes
Hello Janet. Go to your profile and click on 'Edit'. On the next screen, click on 'Last Name At Birth' to edit your surname.
by Jessica Key G2G6 Pilot (181k points)
Remember that this will change your wikitree ID to your maiden name with the next sequential number.
I did this but it told me i couldn't change names until something about my Gedcom was downloaded. What does that mean?
+2 votes
Is "COBB" your maiden name and "Castilleja" the married name? If you are indicating your LNAB (Last Name At Birth) on your profile as Jessica Key surmises, she's correct -- you go to your very own profile, the for Janet Castilleja, and click on edit, and in small print you will see -- just under the field for Middle Name the Last Name At Birth. THAT is where you would change the Castilleja to Cobb
by Susan Smith G2G6 Pilot (451k points)

Related questions

+3 votes
2 answers
122 views asked Dec 13, 2020 in WikiTree Help by Sandy Stewart G2G Crew (410 points)
+5 votes
4 answers
100 views asked Mar 2, 2018 in WikiTree Help by Lois Olson G2G1 (1.6k points)
+5 votes
2 answers
+3 votes
1 answer
+2 votes
2 answers
+9 votes
1 answer

WikiTree  ~  About  ~  Help Help  ~  Search Person Search  ~  Surname:

disclaimer - terms - copyright