Dhronecken_Rhineland-Palatinate_-_One_Place_Study-14.jpg

Dhronecken

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: Dhronecken, Bernkastel-Wittlich, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germanymap
Surnames/tags: Neu Hildebrand Heusner
Profile manager: Anne Unfried private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 172 times.


Contents

What is this page about?

This profile is part of the Dhronecken, Rhineland-Palatinate One Place Study.

This is a collection of inhabitants, pictures, literature, anecdotes and genealogical resources for the small village of Dhronecken.

Also enclosed are the inhabitants of Rothmühle and Boussermühle, two mills on the outskirts of the village. Technically they belong to the neighbouring village of Malborn. But the people who live(d) in these mills are and have always been part of the Dhronecken community, and for this reason they are included.

The page is still under construction, and will be that for a while. If you would like to contribute or if you have ancestors from this village, feel free to contact me.


Where is Dhronecken?

Dhronecken ist part of the Landkreis Bernkastel-Wittlich, which is part of the German "Bundesland" Rhineland-Palatinate. Dhronecken is located in the Hunsrück area and is about 10km away from its highest peak, the Erbeskopf. It's also not far from the Moselle river, Trier and Idar-Oberstein, as well as the Saarland region. The village is part of Verbandsgemeinde (municipality) Thalfang, also called "Mark Thalfang".


Denominations and Churches

Dhronecken was a protestant village from 1564 onwards, when the reformation was introduced here by the Wild- and Rheingrafen (the local gentry). Still there were some Catholics and Jewish people living here, too.

The nearest protestant church was and is located in Thalfang, about three kilometres from Dhronecken. Protestant Dhronecken citizen would have been baptised, married and buried in Thalfang. Art-historically it is an important building - one of the oldest churches in the area, partly rebuilt in 1300, 1450 and around 1600. The pulpit was donated by Dhronecken bailiff Friedrich Christian Heusner.

The castle in Dhronecken had its own chapel, though, where services were held on certain days. In the 18. century these services were limited to every three weeks in winter and every two weeks in summer. This chapel doesn't exist anymore; it was torn down and replaced by a bell tower in the middle of the 19. century.

The nearest catholic churches are in Malborn (which is just up the hill, within the range of vision from the village) and Thalfang. The protestant church in Thalfang was used for catholic services from 1690 to 1911, when the new catholic church was introduced. Thalfang also had a synagogue which was built in 1822 and partly destroyed in 1938.

[see source 1, page 217ff.]

The registration office responsible for Dhronecken is Standesamt Thalfang. Records have been kept from 1798 onwards when the area was under French government.

Luckily both church records as well as registration office records have been indexed in "Familienbüchern" - family books (see section on sources) listing all the people mentioned in the records and grouping them into families - which considerably simplifies research.


History of Dhronecken

Dhronecken started with the castle which was probably built during the 10th or 11th century, as archaeologists have found remains of walls from that time.

Not later than 1223 the castle must have come into the ownership of the Wild- and Rheingrafen. In 1297 Dhronecken was first explicitly named as "Throneck" in a document - a knight called Conrad of Dhronecken is mentioned in it. 1309 sees the first mentioning of the castle. Wildgraf Friedrich, the local count, entrusted his uncle, a noble Templar also called Friedrich, with one half of it.

In 1341 Archbishop Balduin of Trier took the castle as his fiefdom. The Wild- and Rheingrafen weren't too happy about this, some quarrels followed.

The counts usually owned many small castles and villages in one area, travelling from one to the other took a long time. As they were not able to visit them all, the counts usually gave them to lower nobility as fiefdoms. For most of the time it's unclear whose fiefdom Dhronecken was. Next to the Archbishop of Trier, only three noblemen are mentioned in the old documents:

  • Berchram von Budenburg in 1373
  • Simond von Rüdesheim in 1427
  • Claus von Kellenbach in 1495.

Wildgraf Otto (who died in 1409) is said to have resided on Dhronecken castle, also Graf Gerhard (+1490) who seems to have extended its animal husbandry during his residence.

A village at this place, either originating in the outer bailey (today called Hostert) or located further down the river, was first mentioned in 1220, and again in 1476. In 1427 a document deals with a fief of a "Haus in der Vorburg" (a house on the outer bailey) so we can safely assume that by then the Hostert was already settled upon.

For more than three decades Graf Jacob the Blind used the castle as his main residence. An inventory of his mobile possessions was made in 1532; probably because both the castle and village were Gräfin Anna von Isenburg's "wittum" (hers to use in case of her husband's death so she would have some place to live and to feed her). Anna must have taken possession of it shortly before or after Jacob's death in 1532 or 1533, and she probably lived here for most of the rest of her life which ended in 1557. After Anna the castle was lived in by Graf Otto who introduced the reformation to the area in 1564.

In 1637, during the 30-year-war, the castle in Dhronecken was first destroyed. The end of the 17. century saw rebuilding activities on the castle; the archway on the way up to the castle probably stems from this time - only for th castle to be destroyed again in 1714 by French troops.

Another rebuilding created the castle as seen today, with the main building in the Baroque style, a former barn with living quarters for servants, now converted to a community hall, the small tower which now serves as a lookout point, a stable building and the remains of the big tower and guardroom.

Since 1817 the castle is the seat of the local forestry commission.

[see source 1]


Sometimes Brabach is mentioned in old documents (also Probach, Bropach). This was a small hamlet very near to Dhronecken which does not exist anymore or is now part of the village Dhronecken. It was mentioned in 1570 and 1578, still lived in after the 30-year war and also during 1777-1788.


Historic Houses in Dhronecken

Burg Dhronecken

The oldest wall remains on castle Dhronecken are from the 10. and 11. century. In 1309 the castle is first mentioned. It was destroyed at least twice but always rebuilt. (see above)

These days the castle is used as headquarters of the local forestry commission, and also for village festivities.


Hostert

"Auf der Hostert" is a term referring to "Hofstatt" - a farmstead. It used to belong to the castle of Dhronecken as an outer bailey, and is in fact located right at the foot of the castle. The Hostert is first mentioned explicitly in 1638 as the location of the bailiff's house and a chapel belonging to Thalfang church. A document from 1427 also talks about a house on the outer bailey which had been the fief of Johann Freioff von Numagen, also Hansmann Klebesaddel von Wilspiliche as well as Symond and Johann Bock from Veldenz and their ancestors. There is a map from 1770 which shows the castle and the Hostert surrounded by the castle wall.

Here the castle's farm was to be found, together with administration buildings. In the course of time, the Hostert in Dhronecken accommodated the hunter's house, a baking house, a guardroom also used as a prison if necessary, the bailiff's office and a flower garden, and probably also some storage rooms and maybe stables and a barn.

Today it consists of four residential houses and two gardens.

The two lower ones are called "Treine" after former residents - today the Fuchs family lives here. Their carport is located where once the bailiff's office stood. The prison was in one of today's houses, probably in the cellar.

The upper two houses are lived in by descendants of Michel Neu who came to Dhronecken from Pilmeroth sometime before 1860.

Originally one of the houses was a barn - it was converted sometime in the Forties or Fifties, and Hermann Neu moved in with his wife. After his and his wife's deaths a son of Julius Neu bought and modernized the house.

The other house must have been the hunter's house. It was used by Julius Neu with his wife Martha, and also by Emma Neu and her son Gerhard (called Migo). The living situation must have been cramped: Emma lived upstairs with Migo - they must have shared one bedroom, or that bedroom was divided into two smaller rooms already. They also had a kitchen. Julius and Martha lived in two rooms downstairs - they slept in their kitchen while their five children shared the other room. When Emma and Migo moved to Thalfang, Julius and Martha took over the whole house and built an additional room into the attic.

The chapel had been torn down, and around 1850 a bell tower was built here. The bell is still rung - every Saturday evening, on New Year's Day, and whenever a citizen of Dhronecken passes away. [see source 1]


Haags

The housename "Haags" refers to the last owners, Waldi and Resi Haag. From the 18. century onwards the house had been used as an inn, and Waldi and Resi kept that tradition and ran a successful business here.

Originally the house had been built by bailiff Friedrich Christian Heusner as a residential home for himself and his family, sometime between 1700 and 1720. By then he had seven children, five more followed.

Heusner's origins lay in Franken, and he built a house in the tradition of his home area. It is a huge house in the baroque style, with an impressive garden loggia and a pillared hall.

Many people still think it also was the location of the bailiff's office - maybe due to ist impressive look; the official bailiff's house, however, was on the Hostert. "Haags" was private property and stayed in the family until 1975. Heusner also ran a bark and oil mill here which was destroyed when in 1945 the bridge right next to it was blown up. [see source 1]

In modern times the house, although listed by the time, was sadly neglected. Several individuals tried to restore it to its former glory, but the house swallowed a lot of funds, and they gave up. In the end it was bought by an university lecturer who brought it back to life.


Café Hildebrand

This not-so-historic but comparatively striking house was built in 1934/1935 by Jakob and Luise Konrad. This big white house at the crossways in the middle of the village was the first house in Dhronecken which did not have buildings for farming etc. (barns or stables). Instead it had central heating and a bathroom - luxuries unheard of in those times. A small shop which had been opened in the Haags house moved here. [see source 1]

Later the house was the residence of Waldi and Resi Haag's daughter Ruth who had married Hugo Hildebrand, and they continued to manage the shop which now incorporated a post office; later they used it as a café and hotel.


Schreinersch

"Schreinersch" is a pretty little farmhouse in the center of Dhronecken, at the crossways of Weyer Damm and Zur kleinen Dhron.

Its name can probably be explained by the profession of its former owner. It probably belonged to Carl Hildebrand who is mentioned in 1797 as a joiner ("Schreiner" in German). Damp pastures right next to the house, due to the vicinity of Röderbach (a small creek), did not allow for a cellar, instead there is a barn and a small shed for storage of farming produce.

Around 1866 the house was upgraded, probably the first floor was added to it. The date is engraved in the door lintel. There used to be an oven for baking in the back of the house which could be filled from the kitchen area, and a service hatch to the living room still exists. It used to belong to Carl and Ida Hildebrand and was renovated by their heirs Ruth and Hugo Hildebrand in the 1980s. It is still owned by Hildebrand family members. Today it is used as a holiday home. [see source 6, Heft 58 Dez. 2001]


Lochers

Striking due to its red half-timbered construction, this house really stands out from the other farmhouses in Dhronecken. It does not have the customary slate roof but a red one, and it has a beautiful oak balcony. Two barns in the back suggest farming activity in the past. An intermediate floor did not only serve as storage of potatoes but was also used to hide a person from the Nazi regime.

It was the home of the Fetzer family. Elisabeth (Neu) Fetzer moved here with her three children after her husband fell in WWII. Four more hungry mouths, though, were not too welcome, and Elisabeth later moved to Thalfang.

The house was later lived in by the Kimmling family. Currently it is being restored by its new owner.


Hellebrands

Hellebrands was a house named after its owners, the Hildebrand family. It was later used by the Marx family and then torn down to make way for a modern house. See a picture of the old house in the photo collection belonging to this page.


Schetze

Schetze was named after his inhabitant, Friedrich Hildebrand, who had the nickname "Schetze Fritz". His nickname stemmed from his occupation as "Schütze" (gunman). Schetz Fritz was a true original and is mentioned in the Dhronecken chronicle by Carla Regge.

He seems to have lived in a house directly next to the spot where the two creeks Röderbach and Thalfanger Bach merge and form the "Kleine Dhron" river. This house used to be a pub, then an old people's home and is nowadays the residence of the Becker family.


Hirtenhaus / Peese

Supposedly this house, used for the accommodation of the local shepherd, is the oldest in Dhronecken, except for the castle buildings. On the 1770 map of Dhronecken it was the only house on the road to the neighbouring village Burtscheid.

In 1861 it couldn't be used as a residence anymore due to its state, and thus shepherd Conrad Dahm had to look for another job. As the village needed a shepherd, a repair was performed by nailer Carl Manz. Obviously he was successful, as in 1868 the house is mentioned as being in a good condition, the roof tiled with slate. It had one room, a kitchen, a little chamber (maybe a bedroom) and stables as well as some room for storage.

Around 1905 the village community gave up sheep farming, and the house was let. In 1910 it was let to Katharina Jakob (born Nix) who had come from a mill in Heimbach/Nahe with her five children. She was accompanied by mill hand Jakob Pees who gave the house its current housename although he wasn't allowed to live there with Katharina - the community thought this would be immoral.

Around 1925 the rental contract was taken over by Johann Klein who was married to a daughter of Katharina, and in 1950 they were able to buy the house. The Klein family still lives here. [see source 1]


Eckepatts

The name Eckepatts refers to a godfather ("Patt" in Dhronecken dialect) who lived in one corner of Dhronecken, directly at the village exit to Thalfang and Lückenburg. "Corner" in German is "Ecke", so Eckepatt was the godfather who lived in a corner of Dhronecken.

There are two houses here. One was owned by the Conrad family (Erich Conrad and his wife Martha Neu), the other one by an old lady called "Elsmutter".


Deckerschmill

This old mill consists of several parts from different building periods, with the oldest being the part with the mill machinery. It was used as a saw mill but also housed a wool spinning mill around 1850.

This might be the saw mill a contract from the year 1690 deals with; it is about the reconstruction and reactivation of the manorial saw mill which seems to have suffered from neglect during wars and sieges. Miller Nikolaus Kirst is willing to take over the task of reactivation. This could be the same Nikolaus Kirst who is also mentioned as gunman and later forester in Dhronecken. Until the middle of the 19. century the mill was thus called "Kirstenmühle".

The saw mill kept going until modern times; one of the men working there was Julius Neu. In the 50s the house was leased to a miller called Reich who died around 1960. The family then took over the house as the Decker family's holiday home.

The mill wheel can still be seen from the outside. It was made in 1900, by a clockmaker from Papiermühle.


Neimillersch

This "new mill" (Neumühle) was built in 1820 but on the site of an older bark mill.


Rothmühle


Kehreinsche Mühle

This mill does not exist anymore; the site now is the location of Dhronecken's voluntary fire brigade. It was probably the most important mill in Dhronecken and should thus be mentioned. This mill was a "Bannmühle" which means that people were duty-bound to have their grain milled here, at least if they were from most of the neighbouring villages. It is first mentioned in 1505. Quite a number of millers are listed as working here during the decades, one of them Nikolaus Morlang and later his widow Johanna Catharina Rauh. There also was a miller called Kehrein who gave it its name.



The People of Dhronecken

For a list of people who lived in or were connected to Dhronecken and have profiles in Wikitree, see the Category Dhronecken One Place Study (under construction).

Numbers of inhabitants are not given in the Dhronecken chronicle and offical documents - but there were two "Feuerstätten" (fireplaces - one could also call them households) in 1505. Until 1618 the settlement had grown to nine fireplaces, only to shrink again until 1638 (only one fireplace) - probably due to sieges during the 30-year-war and the destruction of the castle. Another factor was the plague - it reigned in the are in 1597, in 1607 and around 1612, as well as during the 30-year war.

In 1650 there were two households again, in 1779 there were nine, and in 1788 there were twelve households in Dhronecken.

There were probably more people living here than these numbers suggest, as only those households were counted which had to pay their due to the counts. There must have been day labourers and priviledged castle servants who were not obligated to pay. In 1527, for example, there were 17 servants here, including the bailiff (a Caspar von Francken), the custodian of all farm produce ("Keller" Wolff Thies von Imeraidt) and the chaplain (Johann Schroeder), and some probably lived here with their family members which were not mentioned. [see source 1]

In 1819 there were 130 people living in the village, in 1833 there were 238 inhabitants. There were probably too many people to be fed now - around 1835 the number of people started to shrink as many emigrated to other countries.

Emil Fröhlich mentions the following inhabitants for Dhronecken in his "Geschichte der Mark Thalfang" [see source 9]:

1650

  • Kirst
  • Höfner
  • Seitz, Gg. (Forstmeister = forester)
  • Cauer, Dietrich (Amtmann = bailiff)
  • Schmidt
  • Kiefer, Claus
  • Höfner, Briktius (in Brabach)


1779

  • Kirst, Magnus
  • Kirst, Carl
  • Juncker, Johann Wilhelm
  • Pauli, Peter
  • Loch, Ludwig
  • Scherer, Gg.
  • Jakob Arrenz Gg. Pet.
  • Mantz, Michel
  • Mantz, Johann Philipp
  • Mantz, Magnus
  • Hildebrand, Leopold
  • Heusner, Friedrich Karl
  • Bauer, Philipp


Today roughly 120 citizens are living in Dhronecken.


Bailiffs in Dhronecken

as mentioned in old documents

  • Junker Jost - 1498
  • Peter Ringrave Bastart - 1505 (obviously an illegitimate son of one of the counts)
  • Casparen von Franken - from 1527, 1532
  • Briktius Littich - 1548
  • Georg Diether - 1592, 1607, 1620
  • Dietrich Cauer - 1650
  • Johann Eckard, "Kyrburgischer Sekretarius" - 1661, 1674
  • Johann Georg Jäger - mentioned several times between 1691 and 1701
  • Philipp Ludwig Stumpf, "Kirchenschaffner" from Kirn while Jäger was suspended - 1694
  • Friedrich Christian Heusner (I) - 1701-1746
  • Walrad Leopold Heusner (II) - 1749-1791
  • Valentin Daniel Wilhelm Heusner (III) - 1791-1798

[see source 1]


Foresters and hunters in Dhronecken

  • 1648: Georg Seitz, Forstmeister [see source 2, p.418]
  • 1791 Jäger Röder [see source 2, p.422]


Genealogical Resources

There are three family books ("Familienbücher") listing the inhabitants of Dhronecken in the last few centuries. The fourth one lists catholic marriages in the whole area.

  • Detemple, Markus. Familienbuch der Mark Thalfang 1650-1805. Thalfang, 1989.
  • Giebel, Armin. Ortsfamilienbuch Standesamt Thalfang bis 1934. Gusenburg, 2012.
  • Karbach, Franz-Josef. Familienbuch der evangelischen Kirchengemeinde Thalfang 1818-1879. Cardamina, 2009.
  • Bungert, Hans-Peter, Katholisches Heiratsregister Hochwald und westl. Hunsrück von Beginn der Kirchenbücher bis 1798, Völklingen a.d.Saar, 1986.

The family books of surrounding villages also often list some people from Dhronecken.

There are other books on the history of Dhronecken which are valuable resources:

  • Regge, Carla. Burg, Amt und Dorf Dhronecken. Dhronecken, 1991.
  • Reber, Hannelore. Das Rad an meines Vaters Mühle. Frankfurt/Main: Private print, 2002.
  • Gerten, E. Dhron und Dhrönchen: Geschichte und Geschichten um zwei Hunsrücker Wasserläufe. Books on Demand, 2012.

Other resources are historical magazines' and essay collections', for example:

  • Die Hott
  • Der Schellemann
  • Kreisjahrbuch Bernkastel-Wittlich

IGI Batch numbers:

  • baptisms, 1650-1730, no.: C96365-1
  • marriages, 1650-1720, no.: M96365-1
  • marriages, 1739-1798, no.: M96365-2
  • baptisms, 1764-1798, no.: C96365-3


Genealogical groups:

Westdeutsche Gesellschaft für Familienkunde - http://www.wgff.de/trier/


Websites:





Sources

1 - Regge, Carla. Burg, Amt und Dorf Dhronecken. Dhronecken, 1991.

2 - Reber, Hannelore. Das Rad an meines Vaters Mühle. Frankfurt/Main: Private print, 2002.

3 - Gerten, E. Dhron und Dhrönchen: Geschichte und Geschichten um zwei Hunsrücker Wasserläufe. Books on Demand, 2012.

4 - Giebel, Armin. Ortsfamilienbuch Standesamt Thalfang bis 1934. Gusenburg, 2012.

5 - Karbach, Franz-Josef. Familienbuch der evangelischen Kirchengemeinde Thalfang 1818-1879. Cardamina, 2009.

6 - Die Hott: Hunsrücker Hefte zur Geschichte und Gegenwart

7 - Der Schellemann: Zeitschrift des Kulturgeschichtlichen Vereins Hochwald e.V.

8 - Kreisjahrbuch Bernkastel-Wittlich

9 - Fröhlich, Emil Christian. Geschichte der Mark Thalfang. 1895.





Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.