Location: Ashtead, Surrey, England, United Kingdom
Surnames/tags: Wilson House_History
New Homes after a War Time Bomb
After the Wilson family Woodturning Business in Birmingham, Warwickshire was bombed during the Second World War, brothers Leslie Wilson and William "Billy" Wilson moved with their families to Ashtead, Surrey in about 1941. Their new homes were two adjacent 17th century cottages, then known as Howard House Cottages, later Howard Cottage and Ivy Cottage at Parkers Lane (formally Parkers Hill).
A Cottage for Each Family
Dating from the early 17 century, the property was probably at first a single dwelling and was originally known as Ashtead Cottage. It is shown on the Lawrence Map of 1638 as the house of John Head. Early on it was divided into two semi-detached residences. During the 18th century, the left hand cottage was extended to the left and the front door was moved from the side to the front, within the new bay. Both cottages were extended to the rear.
The cottages often provided housing for staff working at the Blacksmith's next door on Rectory Lane and during the 19th century, the cottages were home to domestic staff working at Howard House (demolished in 1962), which stood to the West. Since August 1990 both properties have been Grade II listed.
- ↑ Immediate family knowledge of Monica Lesley (Wilson) Orme shared with Chris Orme in December 2010.
- ↑ 1939 Register, Ref: RG101/5518D/015/26 Letter Code: QAPM, 66 Cavendish Road, Birmingham, Leslie Wilson, Occupation Manufacturing Managing Clerk. Accessed 29 Sep 2019 at findmypast.co.uk.
- ↑ Historic England, List Entry Number: 1028654, "Howard Cottage Ivy Cottage. Accessed 26 Nov 2019 at historicengland.org.uk.
- ↑ A stroll around Ashtead's historic homes at ashtead.org.
- ↑ The entry for "Howard Cottage Ivy Cottage" at britishlistedbuildings.co.uk contains the same information as Historic England (cited above) at 26 Nov 2019, but has the potential for anyone to enter information and photographs.
- ↑ Proceedings of the Leatherhead District Local History Society, Volume 5, Number 1, Page 22.