Surnames/tags: McElmoyle, Mac Giolla Mhaoil, Mac Giolla Mhichil, MacElmeel, MacIlmoyle, McElmoyl, McElmoil, McIlmail, McIlmale. McIlmoil, McElmeel, McIlmeel Gaulden, Chambers, Boyd, Gettys, Dennis, Currier, Thompson
- McElmoyle profiles on WikiTree
- McElmoyle DNA Project
- McElmoyle Facebook Page
- Blog about McElmoyle
- McElmoyle - Unraveling The Riddle
- The Mystery of The Box, The Children of John Mcelmoyle, Sr.
- Irish Times Surname Information
- DNA Categorization for Projects
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about the surname McElmoyle and its variants. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect. Please contact the project leader, add categories to your profiles, add your questions to the bulletin board, add details of your name research, etc.
One Name Studies Explained
With One Name Studies it is the surname that is of interest, rather than the family tree of members of the same family with several different surnames. It does involve many of the same research skills and techniques as family history, and most one-namers are actively researching both their own family and their one-name study.
Usually people begin one name studies when they are stuck on part of their tree, and believe that if they were to collect all references they find to the surname then this will lead to a break-through. The one namer becomes an expert on his or her name, even if the name is part of apparently quite separate family groups.
One name studies can be quite intensive, but they can be immensely rewarding, both in their ability to offer new insights into the surname and in being able to assist other genealogists around the world.
One name researchers build up a unique understanding of their name and its significance both geographically and historically. As a recognized center of information on the name, they will also receive inquiries from, and exchange information with, WikiTree members who have an interest in the name. Over time, collaborators become the WikiTree experts on the name and make new friends.
McElmoyle Spelling Variants
- Mac Giolla Mhaoil
- Mac Giolla Mhichil
Known McElmoyle's by Location
All names in Bold are first known generation for location. Number in parenthesis is the Generation from the over-all earliest connected McElmoyle Generation. Currently James McElmoyle in Unknown County, Ireland.
McElmoyle's in Canada
- (3)James McElmoyle m. Catherine M. Cowen - From Ireland
- (3) Hugh McIlmoyle m. Jane May - From Ireland
McElmoyle's in Ireland
Surname Distribution mid-19th century
- SURNAME TOTAL
- McElmeel 55
- McElmoyle 5
- McIlmeel 23
- McIlmoil 2
- McIlmoyle 
- (1) James Mcelmoyle m. ?
- (2) John McElmoyle, Sr. m. Mary? - To SC
- (4) Robert McIlmoyle m. Isabelle - To PA
McElmoyle's in the United States
- (2) John McElmoyle, Sr. m. Mary ? - From Antrim, NI
- (3) Margaret McElmoyle - No Info.
- (3) James McElmoyle - Never Married - No Issue
- (3) Daniel McElmoyle
- (4) Mary Adeline McElmoyle
- (4) John Uranus McElmoyle
- (5) Martha McElmoyle
- (4) Jane McCrinna (McElmoyle) Templeton
- (4) Margaret Elvira (McElmoyle) Dennis
- (4) Daniel Emzer Derastus McElmoyle
- (4) Harriet E. McElmoyle
- (3)John C. McElmoyle Jr. Never Married - No Issue
- (3)David McElmoyle - No Info.
- (4) Joseph McElmoyle - ?
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)