WikiTree profile Adams-7976 created through the import of 1MCLAREN.ged on Dec 28, 2011 by Graham McLaren. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Graham and others.
Note NI192EDMUND TAYLOR ADAMS
The name of Edmund was that of a 19th century saint; King of the East Angles. It continued to be used steadily throughout the Middle Ages giving rise to several surnames and remained in popular use until the end of the 19th century, but did continue especially in Ireland where it takes the form of Eamon or Eamon, which appears to have replaced it.
Edmund Taylor Adams was born at 9:00am on 1st September 1890 at 61 Leonard Street, Perth, his mother was Helen Garvie Adams (Taylor) and father William Hendry Adams. He had two elder brothers, William Hendry, born 28th June 1882, and David born 5th April 1885. Edmund may have been named after his Uncle Edmund Taylor or perhaps through an earlier Irish connection.
He attended Central District School Perth, and was admitted there on 26 Feb 1900 age 9 by his father Wm Adams
He married Christina Brown Henderson on 21st June 1916 at Knoweview, Queens Street, Perth. (This was most likely the church manse) Witnesses , Mary Garvie, (from his mother's family and William Clark. At the time he was age 25 years, living at 51 Leonard Street, Perth, was employed as a grocer by The City of Perth Co-op Society, but presently of the 1/21st Kings Own Scottish Borders at St. Andrews, Fife.
While serving with the K.O.S.B. as part of the Expeditionary Force in France during the First World War, Edmund was killed in action on 15th April 1918. He was commemorated on a plaque (since removed) at the building previously occupied by the City of Perth Co-op, in Scott Street. He is also listed in the Scottish War Memorial, Edinburgh Castle, page 11 of the K.O.S.B. Roll of Honour, which reads;
Adams, Edmund PTE 44100, Born Perth. Killed in action, France
And Flanders 15-4-1918. Formerly 2308 H.C. (Highland Cyclists) Bn.
(This plaque was displayed outside The Perth Memorial Club in Skinnergate, Perth, but has since been removed and is in the care of The Parks Dept Perth Town Council, and will be re-installed in the North Inch on the flood wall adjacent to Charlotte Street early in the New Year.
The Environmental Service
Perth and Kinross Council
35 Kinnoull Street
Tel. 01738 476422)
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission provided the following information;
Private Edmund Adams, 44100, 2nd Battalion Kings Own Scottish
Borders died on 15th April 1918, age 27. After the war his grave was
among those the Army Graves Service were unable to trace and he is therefore commemorated by name on panel five of the Ploegsteert Memorial, Belgium.
This information only became known to the family in January 1988 and resulted in a visit to the memorial by Ian, Edna and Graham later in the same year.
Details from National Archives web site on Medals
Description Medal card of Adams, Edmund
Corps Regiment No Rank
Highland Cyclist Battalion 2308 Private
King's Own Scottish Borderers 44100 Private
Catalogue reference WO 372/1
Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies
Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War
Piece A'Alezu - Barnes C E
Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection
The Ploegsteert Memorial stands in Berks Cemetery Extension, which is located 12.5 kilometres south of Ieper town centre, on the N365 leading from Ieper to Mesen (Messines), Ploegsteert and on to Armentieres. From Ieper town centre the Rijselsestraat runs from the market square, through the Lille Gate (Rijselpoort) and directly over the crossroads with the Ieper ring road. The road name then changes to the Rijselseweg (N336). 3.5 kilometres along the N336 lies a fork junction with the N365. The N365, which forms the right hand fork, leads to the town of Mesen. The Cemetery lies 3 kilometres beyond Mesen on the right hand side of the N365, and opposite Hyde Park Corner Royal Berks Cemetery. The sounding of the Last Post takes place at the Ploegsteert Memorial on the first Friday of every month at 7 p.m.
The PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL commemorates more than 11,000 servicemen of the United Kingdom and South African forces who died in this sector during the First World War and have no known grave. The memorial serves the area from the line Caestre-Dranoutre-Warneton to the north, to Haverskerque-Estaires-Fournes to the south, including the towns of Hazebrouck, Merville, Bailleul and Armentieres, the Forest of Nieppe, and Ploegsteert Wood. The original intention had been to erect the memorial in Lille. Those commemorated by the memorial did not die in major offensives, such as those which took place around Ypres to the north, or Loos to the south. Most were killed in the course of the day-to-day trench warfare which characterised this part of the line, or in small scale set engagements, usually carried out in support of the major attacks taking place elsewhere. BERKS CEMETERY EXTENSION, in which the memorial stands, was begun in June 1916 and used continuously until September 1917. At the Armistice, the extension comprised Plot I only, but Plots II and III were added in 1930 when graves were brought in from Rosenberg Chateau Military Cemetery and Extension, about 1 kilometre to the north-west, when it was established that these sites could not be acquired in perpetuity. Rosenberg Chateau Military Cemetery was used by fighting units from November 1914 to August 1916. The extension was begun in May 1916 and used until March 1918. Together, the Rosenberg Chateau cemetery and extension were sometimes referred to as 'Red Lodge'. Berks Cemetery Extension now contains 876 First World War burials. HYDE PARK CORNER (ROYAL BERKS) CEMETERY is separated from Berks Cemetery Extension by a road. It was begun in April 1915 by the 1st/4th Royal Berkshire Regiment and was used at intervals until November 1917. Hyde Park Corner was a road junction to the north of Ploegsteert Wood. Hill 63 was to the north-west and nearby were the 'Catacombs', deep shelters capable of holding two battalions, which were used from November 1916 onwards. The cemetery contains 83 Commonwealth burials of the First World War and four German war graves The cemetery, cemetery extension and memorial were designed by H Chalton Bradshaw, with sculpture by Gilbert Ledward.
The 20th Century World War 1
At the outbreak of war in August 1914, the two Regular Battalions and the two Territorial Battalions (4th and 5th) were mobilized. In addition, New Army Battalions (6th, 7th and 8th) were raised, together with a 9th Battalion, which provided reinforcements for the other Battalions, and a 10th (Garrison) Battalion. The 1st Battalion fought on the Gallipoli Peninsula, and then on the Somme, at Ypres, Lys and Cambrai. 2nd KOSB served with the BEF at Mons, Le Cateau and on the Aisne, and later at the 2nd and 3rd Battles of Ypres, the Somme, Vimy Ridge and the Lys. The 4th and 5th Battalions fought at Gallipoli with the 52nd Division, then in Palestine (Battle of Gaza) and France. The 6th Battalion suffered heavy casualties at the Battle of Loos in September 1915, and later fought on the Somme, at Arras and at Ypres. The 7th Battalion lost about two-thirds of its strength and the 8th over one-third at the Battle of Loos, and the two Battalions were amalgamated in the spring of 1916. 7th/8th KOSB went on to fight on the Somme, at Arras, Pilckem, at Arras again during the great German Spring Offensive of 1918, and on the Marne (with the French and Americans), ending the war in Belgium.
In March 2006, the Regiment became The Kings Own Scottish Borderers Battalion of The Royal Regiment of Scotland. On the 1st August of that year, the Royal Scots and KOSB Battalions merged to form the 1st (Royal Scots Borderers) Battalion of the new Regiment.