He married first, Isabella Ann Dupuys in 1836 in Halifax. Isabella died 9 Aug 1847.
He married second, Elizabeth Mary Newton in 1849. Edward was a widower and Elizabeth was a widow at the time. She was born circa 1813 in England, died 12 Feb 1895 in Halifax.
He is probably the Mr. Albro, merchant, 26 who sailed to Boston in 1841 and the Mr. Albro, merchant, 41 who sailed to Boston on 3 Oct 1863 with Mrs. Albro, 40, Miss Albro, 19 and Miss Albro, 17.
In 1861, Edward Albro, 50-60 was residing in Halifax with 1 male, 5-10, 1 female, 5-10, 1 male 10-15, 1 single male 15-20, 3 single females 15-20, 2 single males 20-30, 1 single female 20-30,1 single female 30-40, 1 single female 40-50, 1 married female 40-50 [Elizabeth his wife], 1 widowed female 50-60.
In 1871, Edward, merchant, 62 was residing in Halifax with and Elizabeth, 58, James D., clerk, 30, Emma S., 28, Edward N., clerk, 20, Martha, 19, Andrew B., clerk, 17 and 5 servants.
In 1881, Edward, hardware merchant, 71 was residing in Halifax with and Elizabeth, 67, Jane, missionary to Sandwich Island, 40, Martha, 27, Nearth Ritchie, 75 and 1 servant.
In 1891, Edward, 82 and Elizabeth, 75 were residing in Halifax with their son John, 52 and his family.
The Rhode Island Emigration to Nova Scotia, published 1889, states “Edward Albro, Esq., is an aged and prominent hardware vendor in Halifax”.
Edward died at his home on New Years Eve 1894 of old age and gout. He is buried in Camp Hill Cemetery in Halifax.
Children (All born in Halifax):
"Halifax and its Business : containing Historical Sketch and Description of the City and its Institutions : also, description of different lines of business, with account of the leading houses in each line", published by G. A. White, Halifax, Nova Scotia Printing Company, 1876 has the following section on Edward's hardware companies.
E. ALBRO & CO.—ESTABLISHED 1841.
The name of Albro has been long and honorably associated with the hardware business of Halifax. In 1831, Edward Albro, the senior partner of the existing houses, was admitted a member of the firm of John Albro & Co., then carrying on the hardware business, in the stone building on Hollis Street, opposite the International Hotel. In 1840 a more eligible stand in Hare’s building, in the Market Square, was occupied. In the following year Mr. Joseph Wier was taken into partnership by Mr. Albro, under the firm of Edward Albro & Co. In course of a few years the very valuable properties at the head of Mitchell’s wharf, and the corner of Hollis and Duke Streets, were purchased and occupied as branches of the business which still had its headquarters in the Market Square. The branch at Mitchell’s Wharf was under the management of Mr. Wier, under the firm of Edward Albro & Co., while the Hollis Street branch was in the hands of James Wallace & Co.,—afterwards Albro & Co., then Albro Son & Co., and now Albro & Sons. The firm of Edward Albro & Co., was dissolved on the 31st Dec, 1875, in consequence of Mr. Wier’s protracted ill health. Mr. W. E Wier who was admitted a partner in 1870 also retired at this time. H. H. Fuller & Co. was another branch from the Albro stem, but a separation took place some years ago by the retirement of Mr. Fuller.
The premises at MitchelL’s Wharf, Water Street, are extensive and admirably suited both as to arrangements and location to meet the requirements of the hardware and ship-chandlery business. The warehouse is stored with an immense supply of all the materials required in ship building,—cordage, naval stores, cables, chains, and anchors, &c.
The floors, racks, and shelves, and show cases “groan” under the abundance and variety of goods. Here the miner will find what he needs,— shovels, hammers, picks, lamps and lamp wick, &c; so will the blacksmith, the farmer, the tinsmith, the householder, the carpenter, the carriage maker, the undertaker, the lumberer, the ship builder, the fisherman and the sportsman, the painter, the locksmith, the sailor, the plumber, the machinist, and the engineer builder. Here are Walker’s patent logs and sounding machine,—hand lines, long lines, and deep sea lines, Fairbanks’ scales, and a full stock of all the articles, large and small, usually found in hardware and ship chandlery establishments.
Let us now glance at their extensive and well stored establishment on the corner of Hollis and Duke Streets, and bearing the appropriate name of “Birmingham House.” In the cellar is to be found bar iron of all sizes, steel and hoop iron. On the first floor is a splendid assortment of shelf goods and cutlery. On the second floor are nets, lines and twines of all sorts, and a large assortment of hollow ware,—also lead in pig, pipe and sheet, zinc, horse shoe nails, &c. The third floor presents an array of hollow ware, with capacity from half a gallon up to 50 gallons,—fuse for blasting, canvas, &c. There is a. fine display of farming implements; carpenter’s, blacksmith’s and tinsmith’s tools.
The warehouse is a large stone building, Nos. 223 and 225, Hollis Street. In the cellar are oils, whiting, and naval stores. On the first floor you find sheet iron of all sorts, tin plates, paints, potty, &c. The second floor is largely taken up with window glass of all sizes from 9 x 7 to 48 x 32 inches. The third floor is mainly devoted to cordage in all varieties.
The firm formerly owned a large Tannery, conducted by Mr. Robert Albro,—situated at Turtle Grove—now occupied by Fraser, Oland & Co. Brewers. The cut nail manufactory (water power) also located at Dartmouth, south of Turtle Grove, is capable of turning out two tons of nails per day, a splendid article, for which the firm were awarded a First Prize at the Industrial Exhibition of Nova Scotia of 1828. The machinery is of the very best description.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at MyHeritage DNA.
There are no public comments yet.
Edward is 19 degrees from Amelia Earhart, 46 degrees from Stephen Hawking, 23 degrees from Jamie Nelson and 19 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.