This person was created through the import of Rodney Timbrook Ancestors and Relatives_2010-09-10.ged on 10 September 2010. The following data was included in the gedcom. You may wish to edit it for readability.
Note N1318http://www.geocities.com/heartland/woods/6096/gen/allen.html William Allen b: 1711 in Ireland d: 6/08/1710 in Gum Spirits, VA William came to this country at age 18 in 1729, and landed at Phila. He lived in New Jersey, married and burried his first wife there. He then married Jane Warford and moved to Virginia, in Louden County in 1762. They had five sons and three daughters. Joseph was the youngest. http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/p/a/Joseph-B-Sparks/GENE6-0001.html 1. William Allen1, born February 2, 1711 in Larne, Antrim County, Ireland; died June 9, 1799 in Loudoun Co, Va. at his home "Red Hill Plantation". He was the son of 2. Robert Allen II and 3. Janet Hare. He married (1) Alice Berry Abt. 1733 in Hunterdon County, New Jersey. She was born 1711 in Staten Island, New York, and died 1738 in New Jersey?. He married (2) Jane Warford 1740 in Hunterdon Co., N.J.. She was born Abt. 1720 in Monmouth Co., NJ, and died January 1765 in Hunterdon Co., NJ. She was the daughter of John Warford, Jr. and Elizabeth Stout. He married (3) Sarah Cox 1766. She was born March 11, 1726 in Middesex Co, New Jeresy, and died June 22, 1797. She was the daughter of Esq. William Cox and Catharine Longfield. Notes for William Allen: A Revolutionary War soldier and founder of the Allen family. Born in Ireland he came to America in 1729. He landed at Philadelphia. Lived in Hunterdon County, New Jersey with a Quaker family. He lived in New Jersey for 33 years before coming to Loudoun County, Virginia in 1762. He owned "Red Hill Plantation" in Loudoun County, which was about 2300 acres. Although there is a graveyard on the property, local lore states that he and two wives are buried under the parking lot of the Gum Springs Church, Gum Springs, VA. (Not unlike the Presbyterians in Leesburg, VA who have also used a portion of their graveyard for building expansions on one side and a parking lot on the other) NOTE: On this date (August 1998) it was observed that Gum Springs has changed its name to Arcola, VA. Consequently the Gum Springs Church is now Arcola United Methodist Church, circa 1853. No grave markers exist. However there are six swales with different grass covering on the West boundary behind the church building. On the ground beneath a large oak tree between the church and the parking lot there was a small tombstone lying flat on the ground. There also was a tombstone base that was in the weeds on the other side. It is reported that the church served as a hospital during the battle of Bull Run and that there was another structure before the existing one. About the plantation: Take highway 15 south of Leesburg, VA. Turn left onto highway 50. Turn left onto road 860. Turn right onto road 617 named Red Hill Road. Turn to the right onto Stone School Road. "Red Hill Plantation" is just a short distance on the right. The house sets back off the road. The farm now is only about 270 acres and is owned by Randolph D. Rouse. The small Allen Cemetery located close the road has three tombstones: (1) Elizabeth Allen, born 1775 , died 1 March 1820, the daughter of David and Marg. Lee - there is a foot stone with initials E. A. (2) James Allen, born 1769, died 9 June 1845, son of Wm and Sarah - there is a foot stone with initials J. A. (3) John F. Allen, born 21 January 1823, died 11 April 1884 John F. Allen, in his Will of 2 June 1883 requested to be buried in the family graveyard. He left the property of some 610 acres to his cousin John Allen Gulick, who sold it in 1910. In 1734 William Allen rented a pew in Old Tennent Church near Freehold, New Jersey. His first wife Alice Berry received communion there in 1735. The probable identify of Alice is based on circumstantial evidence and is still to be proven. Attached to the marriage bond of Ephrim Herriot and Jane Allen in 1756 is the consent of John Berry of Bedminister (formerly of Freehold), who calls Jane "A young woman I have brought up from her infancy." Berry had previously worshipped at Old Tennent, where his wife also received communion in 1735, but there is no proof that he had a daughter named Alice. It would seem likely however, that William Allen's wife was a sister of Berry and that upon her death, John Berry took her children or one of them to bring up. After the death of Alice, William took his children back to Hunterdon County, NJ, and from there he moved to Amwell Township, New Jersey. In the winter of 1776 William Allen moved his family to Loudoun County, Virginia, where William and Joseph Allen had contracted, on May 18, 1759 to buy 1150 acres in that and Faoquier counties though Joseph's interest had passed to one John Violett by March 1763, when a release was executed by the seller. In December 1762 William Allen purchased an additional 900 acres in Loudoun county. William Allen Establishes First Ironworks in New Jersey 1. The Solitude area of High Bridge, New Jersey consists of approximately 150 acres, 35 acres being Lake Solitude and another 115 acres of surrounding rolling forest. The area was once part of a larger tract inhabited by Native Americans along the South Branch of the Raritan River (river of black rock) known as Sheychibi (long land and water). Two Lenape tribes, the Munsee and the Unami lived on opposite shores of the river, which is now Lake Solitude. The tribes lived in harmony and traded with each other for hundreds of years even though they did not possess the same language. The site was only one of three main Native American sites in NJ. A rock cliff along the river was studied at the intersection of Cokesbury Road and the Columbia trail in the 1970's by the Rutgers Archeology Department and artifacts were unearthed. 2. The first known date recorded by Europeans was in 1700, which made reference to a working forge in the area. Native Americans were showing off their objects of metal to Europeans along the coastal ports. When asked to show where they got the objects a search party came upon a working forge adjacent to the current driveway of the Solitude house. The story recorded was that the area was so rich in iron ore that the discoverers compass needle pinned to the instrument. The forge was being operated by Native Americans and African slaves. It was primarily producing pig iron (small square bricks made for export) and some crude tools were being manufactured. The river sand was rich in iron ore and was used initially but as it became scarce, mining took place in the area. 3. A fort was built during the French and Indian War around the area of the forge. British workers families were subject to attack and death outside its walls. The workers themselves would only leave to form hunting parties to seek retribution for acts of barbarity against their families. The local families were moved inside for protection. 4. William Allen leased a 2300-acre site extending from present day Califon, New Jersey, to Pattenburg from the West Jersey Society, on which he and his partner, Joseph Turner, established the first ironworks in Philadelphia's colonial times. In 1752, Allen and Turner purchased 10,849 acres in Bethlehem and Lebanon Townships, which included our present-day High Bridge. 5. During the American Revolution the "Union Forge" was operated by William Allen (1711-1799) and Joseph Turner. Allen, a Tory and wealthy Philadelphian, was forced to pledge allegiance to the new country by General Washington. Mr. Allen rounded up his slaves and sent them to Virginia where they could not be confiscated when he heard of Washington coming for a visit. General Washington seized the forges cannon balls and other implements for the war effort. Mr. Allen went on to become Benjamin Franklin's nemesis is Philadelphia as the two argued on many issues. 6. Solitude House, abutting Lake Solitude, was built in 1725 or earlier. Although Allen and Turner held allegiance to the English, Robert Taylor was an ardent patriot. During the American Revolution, the foundry cast cannonballs for the American Army. In the original portion of the homestead known as "Solitude," Robert Taylor was given the responsibility of holding John Penn, the last colonial Governor of Pennsylvania and his attorney general, Mr. Benjamin Chew (Colonial Chief Justice of Pennsylvania). They were sent there as prisoners of war by the new American Government, place under house arrest and spent the remainder of the War in High Bridge. General Washington was concerned about the Governor of Pennsylvania, John Penn, grandson of William Penn and a Tory who was not supportive of the American Revolution. He needed to win the hearts and souls of the people of Philadelphia to further his revolution and Philadelphia would become the new nations capitol. It was John Penn who named the house and area "Solitude" during his long stay. Locals have said it was because of the wilderness and loneliness endured during the stay, but historically John Penn's original home and farm in Philadelphia was named "The Solitude" and is now known as the Philadelphia Zoo. The main Solitude house was not placed on the historic register in the 1970's because of various alterations to the original house needed to be reworked. The stone "Annex" behind the "Solitude" is supposed to have been a supply store kept by Allen and Turner as early as 1757, and was used for trading until the company store was moved to the center of High Bridge near the railroad. Iron plaques made during the revolution, of Washington and Franklin were stolen in the 1980's from the front of the home. 7. In early 1758, Robert Taylor came to the area from Ireland at the age of 17. Well educated, he first taught school in Kingwood Township, but became bookkeeper for Allen and Turner toward the close of 1758 having taken residence with then ironworks Superintendent Colonel Hackett in a house now a portion of the Taylor mansion (now Solitude House located at 7 River Road). When Colonel Hackett died in 1775, Robert Taylor was chosen as his successor. 8. Local legend says that Aaron Burr found the fishing exceptional and invited General Washington to the site, although Washington did not enjoy fishing. Washington's name appeared in a guest register in the now demolished American Hotel in downtown High Bridge. 9. At the close of the Revolutionary War, Robert Taylor purchased the forge and 366 acres of adjacent land. Due to transportation problems, the forge was closed until 1851, when Robert's grandson, Lewis H. Taylor (for whom the L.H. Taylor Firehouse is named) restored the foundry upon the arrival of the New Jersey Central Railway. The Taylor family remained prominent citizens in the area. L.H. Taylor's brother, General W. Taylor, served in the Mexican War as well as the Civil War, dying at the battle of Manassas in 1862 while in charge of the First New Jersey Brigade. The most modern-day member of the Taylor family to achieve local prominence was Knox Taylor, who built "Graystone," a stone mansion on Nassau Road for his wife Lucy in the early 1900's. 10. In 1912, Taylor Iron Works merged with the William Wharton Jr. Co. of Philadelphia and became Taylor-Wharton Iron and Steel Company. Taylor-Wharton built houses for their workers and company executive's constructed lovely Victorian homes. The company, which sits on the original Solitude tract, is the second oldest operating company in the United States behind the Hudson Bay Company. 11. The Taylor Wharton Company provided military armaments for all the conflicts in the United States including the Civil War, the Spanish American War, World War I, World War II and the Vietnam War. It also made railroad rails to move the country Westward and manufactured the steam shovels that built the Panama Canal. Members of the Taylor family ran the company up until 1971 when the company closed in High Bridge, partially due to the lack of need for war implements at the end of the Vietnam War. Reference: www.highbridge.org www.familytreemaker.com/users/s/p/a/Joseph-B-Sparks April 24, 2001 More About William Allen: Residence: 1935, As a point of interest, the Hunterton County court house at Flemington, NJ, is where a jury of honest citizens in 1935, convicted the murderer of the twenty month old first born Charles A. Lindbergh baby.
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.