- Richard Allen's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Some online family trees that claim that Richard Allen of Braunton, Devon was the son of Sir John Allen and Elizabeth Alabaster of Thaxton, Essex. There is no evidence to support this unlikely claim, although Sir John and Elizabeth Allen did have descendants (Bulkeley) in Puritan Massachusetts.
It appears most likely that Richard was the Richard Allen, son of Matthew, baptized 15 Mar. 1563/4 at Braunton, Devon.
Richard Allen married Margaret Wyatt (Wyott) on September 24, 1683 at Braunton, Devonshire.
He was buried on 5 Aug 1651 at Braunton, Devon,  and his will was proved on 10 May 1652 in Cambridge, Middlesex, England.
Last Will & Testament
In his will, Richard mentions:
- sons Thomas and Mathew Allinge
- Thomas's daughter Mary
- Mathew's three children: John, Thomas and Mary
- grandchildren Mary Tamling, Elianor Tamling, Obedience Garland, Elizabeth Tamling
- daughter-in-law Elizabeth, wife of son Richard
- grandchildren John Alling and Margaret, children of son Richard
- John Rice of Barnstaple
- Son Richard, to be the executor.
"Richard Allen the elder of Branton in Devon 29 November 1647, proved 10 May 1652. To my son Thomas Allinge five pounds. To my son Mathew Allinge five pounds. To Mary Allinge daughter of son Thomas twenty shillings. I give and bequeath unto my sonn Mathew's three children, to John the sum of twenty shillings, to Thomas, his son, twenty shillings, and to Mary, his daughter, twenty shillings. To my grandchild Mary Tamling five pounds, to my grandchild Elianor Tamling four pounds, to my grandchild Obedience Garland twenty shillings and to my grandchild Elizabeth Tamling twenty shillings. To my daughter in law Elizabeth, wife of my son Richard, twenty shillings in gold to buy her a ring. To my grandchild John Alling, son of my son Richard, three pounds. To my grandchild Margaret, daughter of my son Richard, three pounds. To John Rice of Barnstaple twenty shillings. To the poor of Branton three pounds, to be distributed to their houses within ten days after my decease. To Walter Catt (Cutt?) five shillings. To every servant in my house at the time of my death two shillings sixpence apiece. Son Richard Alling to be executor and residuary legatee. Bowyer, 108.
- Emmett (dau), christened 19 Dec 1584
- Wilmot (dau), chr 9 Jan 1590/1
- Thomas, chr 24 Dec 1597
- Rich, chr 6 May 1601
- Mathew, chr 17 Apr 1605
- Hannah Louise MacNair Crawford, "Maternal Ancestry of Charles Whiting MacNair."
- Source: S-275 Title: The American Genealogist. (TAG) New Haven, CT: D. L. Jacobus, 1937-. (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009- .)
- Source: S-274 Title: The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Volumes I-III. (Online database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2010), (Originally Published as: New England Historic Genealogical Society. Robert Charles Anderson, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Volumes I-III, 3 vols., 1995). At p 41.
- Source: S-624746663 Repository: #R-1097184332 Title: Millennium File Author: Heritage Consulting Publication: Ancestry.com Operations Inc APID: 1,7249::0
- Repository: R-1097184332 Name: Ancestry.com
- Source: S-624819537 Repository: #R-1097184332 Title: Ancestry Family Trees Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. Page: Ancestry Family Tree Data: Text: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=71293903&pid=375
Thanks to Ellen Blackwell for starting this profile. Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by Ellen and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Richard's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Roland Goodwin, Christopher Abrecht, Alistair Boitz, and Ellen Blackwell. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 3 Oct 2015 at 15:55 GMT Anne B wrote:
On 18 Dec 2014 at 16:48 GMT Bob Tonsmeire wrote:
Richard is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 12 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 23 degrees from Ayn Rand, 19 degrees from Peter Roberts and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.