- Thomas ap Gwilym's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Cymru 742-1535.
||Thomas ap Gwilym was a member of royalty, nobility or aristocracy in Wales in the Middle Ages.|
Join: Cymru_Welsh_Royals_and_Aristocrats_742-1535 Project
Thomas ap Gwilym was the son of Gwilym ap Jenkin ab Adam. He was "of, Perth-hir, Rockfield, Llangatwg Feibion Afel, Monmouthshire, Wales."
First, Thomas married Mawd Morley. She was the daughter of Sir John Morley, Lord of Raglan. She was "of, Llansanffraid, Llan-arth Fawr, Monmouthshire, Wales," where she is buried.
Second, he married a daughter of Watkin of Llanddewi Rhydderich ap Henry. Her name is not known. She was "of, Llanddewi Rhydderch, Llanofer Fawr, Monmouthshire, Wales."
He had 11 legitimate children:
- Sir William Thomas of Raglan was the son of Mawd.
- a daughter, who married Thomas ap Llywelyn Gunter, was the daughter of wife two.
Boyer does not assign these children to a mother, but the FamilySearch Welsh database assigns them all to Mawd:
- Philip of Llansanffraid
- Robert, rector of Llanfihangel Cwm Du and Llanwenarth
- Mawd, (possibly m. Gwilym of Tyle-glas ap Philip)
- Hywel Fychan
- Margred, m. William Wroth
- Tudful, m. Gwilym ap Hywel Hen
- Hywel y Bwlch
- Ieuan, m. Margred ferch Gwilym ap Jenkin Grant was an illegitimate son by an unknown mistress.
Lord of Perthyre Thomas ap William (1356-1438), Lord of Perthyre & Llansaintfraed manors, Gwent
He died in 1438. He is buried at Llansanffraid, Llan-arth Fawr, Monmouthshire, Wales Burial: Priory Church, Abergavenny, Monmouth, Eng.
- Carl Boyer, 3rd. Medieval Welsh Ancestors of Certain Americans. Santa Clarita, CA: n.p., 2004. [ ] , Page 167
- The Bartrum Project (digitization of "Welsh Genealogies AD 300- 1500" by Peter C. Bartrum)
- Wikipedia: William ap Thomas (his son, aka Sir William Herbert)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- Gwyllym or Gwilym? Aug 8, 2015.
No known carriers of Thomas's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Richard Ragland, James Turner, and Dallas Riedesel. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 8 Aug 2015 at 20:26 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
Ap Gwyllym-1 and Ap Gwilym-16 appear to represent the same person because: These profiles are for the same person. Please merge. Thanks!
On 14 Apr 2015 at 20:35 GMT RJ Horace wrote:
Thomas is 21 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 17 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 24 degrees from Ayn Rand, 19 degrees from Peter Roberts and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.