- William Armistead's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
||William Armistead settled in the Southern Colonies in North America prior to incorporation into the USA.|
Join: US Southern Colonies Project
William Armistead, Major (Anthony, William, Anthony, Roger, John, Robert)
Positions and Property
William served in 1693 and in 1702 as Burgess, and in 1695 as as High Sheriff.
William married twice.
- He married on 20 November 1696, as his 1st, to Hannah Hinde (born Jul 01, 1673), daughter of Thomas Hinde and Hannah (Unknown) Hind.
- He married in 1704, as his 2nd, and as her 1st, to Rebecca Moss, daugher of Edward Moss, J.P. of York County, who was son of Edward Moss, the immigrant.
Death and Legacy
William's will was written on 5 Jan 1713/4 or 1714/5 and was probated on 15 Feb 1715/16 at Elizabeth City County, Colony of Virginia.
Children of William Armistead and Hannah Hinde: Note: Actual birth order and birth dates are not known, all are guesses.
- Anthony Armistead, of Warwick, b ca 1697; m 1) Anne Unknown, 2) Elizabeth Westwood.
- William Armistead b ca 1700, married before 1719; will 15 Feb 1723/44, probated 21 Jun 1727
- John Armistead b ca 1701 in Elizabeth City Co., VA; died in New Kent Co., VA
- Hinde Armistead b
- Robert Armistead (Col) of Elizabeth City Co, born ca 1710; died 1774; will 28 Jun 1771, prob 24 Nov 1774; m Ann Wallace.
Children of William Armistead and Rebecca Moss:
- Edward Armistead, ; m 1) Jane Unknown, 2) Martha Thompkins
- Hannah Armistead
- Moss Armistead
- Judith Armistead
- Hannah Armistead b ca 1714; m Hon. Miles Cary
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Hardy, Stella P, (1958) Colonial Families of the Southern States of America; a History and Genealogy of Colonial Families Who Settled in the Colonies Prior to the Revolution. Baltimore: Southern Book Co, HathiTrust.org (Page 25).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Everingham, Kimball G., "Major William Armistead", Web accessed July 10, 2014
- ↑ Armistead, Hannah Ellyson and William Armistead, (Apr 1904) "Armistead Wills," The William and Mary Quarterly, Omohundro Institute of Early American History and Culture, JSTOR.org (Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 253-256).
- County Clerk, Elizabeth City County, (1947) Elizabeth City County, Virginia Probate Records. Format: 6 microfilm reels, Virginia State Library, Richmond, Va.
- Zimmerman, Douglass E., (2002-2004) "ARMISTEAD." extracted from The Armistead Family by Virginia Armistead Garber, organized for usability Archive.org, archived 25 Feb 2011.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of William's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Michael Sean McClanahan and Kimball Everingham. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
William is 17 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 12 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 24 degrees from Ayn Rand, 19 degrees from Peter Roberts and 15 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.