Ole Arntzen (also recorded as Ole Arnesen), the son of Arne Olsen Grinder (1697-1748) and Berthe (Berte) Nilsdotter Hoel (1708-1747) at Grinder, was born 23 April 1731 at Grinder, Grue, Hedmark, Norway.
Ole Arntzen was the sheriff at Grue (4 November 1747-1753), and was appointed a king's counselor on 28 April 1774.
A local history provides an excellent summary, which is quoted here, of Ole's extensive family, :
"Ole Arntzen was married twice and fathered 21 children.
"His first marriage was with Karen Persdotter Vøyen from Bærum (1733-1769). The couple married in 1752. Karen was the sister to Sven Vøyen, who was married with Ole's sister Johanne. Ole and Karen had 11 sons and 5 daughters. Four of these died young. Those who grew to maturity were:
"The sons of this family took the surname Arntzen.
- Arne (1752-1781). Studied in København (Copenhagen).
- Birgitte Truine, married the priest at Frogn (Fron, Oppland, Norway), Egedius Sem.
- Halvor(1756-1835), priest at Lårdal and at Lom
- Johanne, she was first married with Johan Lund, her second marriage was with Ulrik Frederik Hals.
- Kristian, was a priest, first in Hardanger, Norway and later in Danmark (Denmark). He was married with Anne Sofie Ravn.
- Ole, priest in Danmark (Denmark)
- Malene, was married with the army officer Frederik Wilhelm Lützow.
- Karen, was married with the army officer Hans de Place.
- Nils, colonel in Russia and married there.
- Sven, farm owner in Grue.
- Engebret, farm owner in Sjælland.
"Ole Arntzen married a second time in 1772 with Marthe Hansdotter Gjerdrum (1747-1797), the daughter of the priest at Grue. They had five sons, who took the surname Gjerdrum, sometimes in combination with the surname Arntzen:
- Ole, an officer and the owner of the Tjura nail mill.
- Andreas Arntzen, Magistrate's President, High Court Assessor, Governor and Minister of State. As did his brother, he also owned and operated the Tjura nail mill.
- Arne (1782-1846) judge in Solør and Odalen 1824-1846."
His family appears in the 1801 census as follows:
King's Councilor Ole Arntzen died on 17 March 1811 at Grinder, Grue, Hedmark, aged 79 years, and was buried on 23 March.
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.