- Elizabeth (Barnes) Hardcastle's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
NOTES of Kelly K
There is no confirmation of the name of mother for Eli and his siblings. This profile is somewhat of a work in progress.
A possible source for Eli's mother are the memoirs Eli's son Elias Hardcastle wrote. There are 4 versions of these handwritten memoirs and one version was published by Elias' grandson, Marcus M Lowthorp, titled "The Life and Times of Elias Hardcastle".  . The four versions are mostly the same and for the most part Elias being age 90, he had an excellent memory and the memoirs are invaluable resource for all descendants of Eli Hardcastle and Susan Pate.
In the memoirs, the only possible mention of Eli's mother is Elias' reference to grandmaw Narcissus. He never states she is Eli's mother. I have wondered if Elias was just told his sister Narcissus Elizabeth was named after his grandmaw and this is where the statement comes from. So the opposite effect has happened somewhat in proving our ancestry by trying to prove the one ambiguous statement in the memoirs instead of relying on census records etc, most of us have focused on proving the statement right.
Well I have spent alot of time myself on this, but recently took a different approach. I found a DNA match to a Barnett descendant. Then combined with the will of Brittain Barnes Jr and Elizabeth Adams both from Robeson county, NC have tried researching from the known records.
Brittain Barnes' Nov 1827 Robeson county NC will devises to a John Hardcastle, who he states is his son-in-law. I have seen this daughter named as Elizabeth. I think this comes from the 1830 land record in Alabama though and there is nothing so far I have seen with Brittain's daughter's name. But Elizabeth makes sense to me.
Also, the will of Elizabeth Adams of Feb 1835, wife of Robert Adams, daughter of William Hardcastle and Mary (possibly Willoughby). She devises to her brother James Hardcastle.
What does not make sense is that I have not found one single record for a Narcissus whom Elias stated lived to be very old.
So for now since there are only John Hardcastles found on the 1820 North Carolina census, Robeson county being my favored county, it makes sense to me that the mother of Eli, James, Hugh, Elizabeth and Elisha H is the daughter of Brittain Barnes who married John Hardcastle.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Elizabeth by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Elizabeth:
- Dona (Griffin) Hamar : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A271726
- Kelly (Hardcastle) Kerr : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A169336, Ancestry member KellyK415 + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch A169336, FTDNA kit #B168694
- B Kerr : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A966427, Ancestry member KellyK415
- K Kerr : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A751957, Ancestry member KellyK415
- Kyle Hamar : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A773444, Ancestry member kylehamar1
- Ken Hamar : AncestryDNA, Ancestry member KendallHamar
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Elizabeth is 23 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 29 degrees from Charlotte Brontë, 24 degrees from Bob Keniston, 23 degrees from Ben Kingsley and 23 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.