Obituary from the Delphos Republican, July 22, 1932 
ZACH BARNES DEAD Zach Barnes, for a great many years a resident of the Delphos community, died at the County Home at Minneapolis this last Sunday evening. Death was due to a stroke of paralysis suffered early Sunday morning.
Mr. Barnes was about 74 years of age. He had been in poor health for several years, but death came unexpectedly. For a great many years he made his way in Delphos by doing odd jobs, and it was not until he was unable to work longer that he went to the County Home.
Mr. Barnes was a brother to the late Noah Barnes, and Hiram Barnes of the Pipe Creek neighborhood, is a nephew.
Funeral services were held Monday, in charge of Rev. C. Cray Jones of Minneapolis, and burial was made in the Delphos cemetery.
ZACHARIAH BARNES Zachariah Barnes was born in Bertie County, North Carolina, July 6th, 1848, and died at Minneapolis, Kansas, July 17, 1932, aged 74 years and 11 days. He came with his parents to Indiana, in 1859 settling in Henrietta County, later moving to Whitley Co., Indiana, where he lived until 1914, when he came to Kansas, settling in Delphos. He lived there until 3 years ago, since which time he had been at Minneapolis.
He was one of 7 children, all of whom have preceded him in death except one sister, Mrs. Anna Taylor, of Larwill, Indiana. He is also survived by several nieces and nephews, and a host of friends.
Funeral services were held from the Smith Funeral home, Monday, July 18 at 5 p.m., conducted by Rev. C. Cray Jones. Burial was made at Delphos.
2. This date of birth is incorrect, being 9 years too early. The stated age of 74 years in the obituary implies 1856 as his year of birth. Indiana Births and Christenings, 1773-1933, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V2XR-XD1, gives his date of birth as July 6, 1857. This birth record shows his correct mother (although her surname is misspelled - "Matilda Jane Holtman"); has his father incorrect ("Zacharia") and the place of birth as Noble County, which is consistent with what is shown on his marriage license. Swore testimony in his father's Civil War Pension file state his date of birth as July 7, 1857, and this date is confirmed by multiple census records, both by his age and his place of birth, as the family was in North Carolina in 1848, but Indiana in 1857. Indiana marriage records (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XFHM-L5B) show July 6, 1857 as his date of birth.
3. The place of birth is more likely either Noble or Hamilton County. Various records show the Barnes family in Hamilton and Madison Counties before moving to Whitley County. The only records putting them in Noble County are Zachariah's birth and marriage records.
4. US Census, White River, Hamilton, Indiana, 1860, Zachariah Barnes, age 2.
5. US Census, Coesse, Union, Whitley, Indiana, 1870, "Zacariah" Barnes, age 12, living with his family.
6. US Census, Coesse, Union, Whitley, Indiana, 1870, "Zackariah" Barnes, age 13, living with his uncle, John Hollomon, and his family. (Note Zack was living in two places in 1870.)
7. US Census, Lake, Allen, Indiana, 1900, "Szachariah" Barnes, age 39, living with his wife and her two children. (Note his age is low by several years.)
8. US Census, Union, Whitley, Indiana, 1910, Zack Barnes, age 53, living with his wife and her son Peter.
9. US Census, Union, Whitley, Indiana, 1920 "Jack" Barnes, living with his brother-in-law Jack Pettigrew and his sister Mary Jane Pettigrew (his age in this record is erroneously reported as "51")10. Zack married Sarah Ann Connelly Fox twice. The first time was May 24 1890. (Reference: Indiana Marriages, 1811-2007, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27VL-74P). https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27VK-V73)
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.