[private sister (1950s - unknown)]
Profile last modified 29 May 2020
| Created 6 Oct 2014 | Last significant change: 1 May 2020
This page has been accessed 2,804 times.
Biography of Nicolette "Nikki" Barr Byer
Nicolette was born on Feb. 5, 1951, the oldest child of Raymond Barr and Ruth Fagan. She grew up in the small town of North Versailles, PA and she attended South Wilmerding elementary school, a 4-room schoolhouse until 6th grade. Then she attended Green Valley for 6th grade, where she met her future husband Bob Byer. Then on to Park Terrace Jr. High, and Westinghouse Memorial High School, where she was in the last graduating class. (East Allegheny School District) in 1969.
After high school she attended Slippery Rock State College and graduated with a degree in elementary education. (1969-1973) Directly following graduation, she and Bob were married on June 23, 1973. They moved to Harrisburg, PA and she got a job teaching in Susquehanna Township School District where she taught 4th grade for 39 years before retiring in 2012.
She and her husband live in Etters, Newberry Township, York County, PA. Now that she is retired from teaching, she loves spending time with her five grandchildren. Other hobbies are gardening, reading, cooking, crafting, visiting thrift and antique stores, and genealogy. In that regard, she is going through her mother's and grandmother's albums and notes and trying to document the information to hand down to her children and grandchildren. She has written a book about her father called The Ancestry of Raymond Dayton Barr. It was published by Shutterfly and copies were given to family members.
This past year, she wrote a book about her husband's mother's side of the family. It is called The Painter Family Album 
and is a history of this large family and their descendants. An attempt was made to contact all descendants of the 13 children of Andrew Brown Painter. The book was self-published by Book Blurb and copies were purchased by many family members.
- First hand information written by Nicolette Byer on March 9, 2015 and updated on March 2, 2016.
- Paternal relationship is confirmed by comparison between second cousins Nikki (Barr) Byer (GEDmatch A649209) and Bill Hamilton Jr. (GEDmatch M912123); they share 9 matching segments greater than 7 cM each across 7 different chromosomes for a total of 236.7 cM.
More Genealogy Tools
Only the Trusted List can access the following:
- Nikki's formal name
- e-mail address
- exact birthdate
- birth location
- images (8)
- private siblings' names
- private children's names (2)
- spouse's name and marriage information
For access to Nikki Byer's full information you must be on Nikki's Trusted List. Please login.
See the Contact section of the Tree & Tools
Nikki is a Wiki Genealogy Volunteer
following these tags:
- I would like to give recognition to my ancestors that served in the American Revolution.
- My surname at birth is Barr. My family is from West Virginia, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
- My husband is descended from Michael John Byer from Parkersburg, WV. His grandfather moved to Pittsburgh, PA. Originally the family name was spelled Beier.
- I enjoy solving puzzles, and connecting people to the global tree is one giant puzzle to me.
- My Fagan line is from Ebensburg, Cambria County PA and migrated to Braddock, Allegheny, PA.
- My great grandmother was Annabelle Ross Foreman from Winchester VA.
- The Friedlings came to America from Germany and settled in Pittsburgh and some later to Florida.
- I am interested in the immigrant family that settled in the Shenandoah Valley region of Colonial Virginia.
- My grandmother was a Lavelle whose family came from County Mayo, Ireland and settled in Pittsburgh, PA.
- My great grandmother Bridget Agnes Lynch was born in England, but her family originated in Ireland. She immigtated to America and settled in Pennsylvania.
- My Miller side of the family is descended from Christian Miller (Mueller) fro Bedford County, PA.
- My husband's mother's name was Painter, from Pitcairn, Allegheny, PA. Her father was Andrew Brown Painter.
- My great grandfather Danford B Smith was descended from James Smith from Bedford County, PA.
- I am interested in the Hottel, Keller, Ringer, Snapp and Foreman families that settled in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.
Nikki Byer's DNA has been tested for genealogical purposes. It may be possible to confirm family relationships by comparing test results with Nikki or other carriers of her ancestors' mitochondrial DNA
It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Nikki:
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.