William was born about 1762. William Bassett ... 
Who William Bassett was married to is unknown, originally it was thought that his wife was Jane Mathews who married a William Bassett on the 13 September 1783 in the Madron parish church. However recent DNA testing shows that although Jane Matthews is related to the family, the connection is further back. Unfortunately, I have not been given access to actual data although a copy has been promised.
At this point in time, we Know that William had the following children, but we do not know who the mother of his children was, however it is thought that all his children christened in the same church :-
1. “4 Jan 1784 Anne d/o William Basset at Madron” – I am not sure what happened to Anne.
2. “11 Sep 1785 Francis s/o William Bassett, pauper at Madron”, He was working as a farmer until he became convicted of stealing and was transported to Australia. He was married to Ann Carbis who did not emigrate to Australia. Her husband along with her brother William and father were convicted of stealing and transported to Australia
3. “20 Jan 1788 William s/o William Bassett, pauper at Madron” – may have been buried on 27 October 1799 in Gulval, Cornwall the entry in the Gulval Church register reads:- “October William Bassett of Penzance .. .. .. 27th“.
4. “5 Sep 1790 John s/o William Bassett, pauper at Madron” migrated to Australia in 1852, who married Martha Carbis in in 1812, along with his wife and most of his married children.
5. “8 Mar 1792 Mary d/o William Basset, pauper at Madron private baptism" was buried as an infant on 18 February 1793 as a pauper in Madron.
6. “9 Mar 1794 Mary d/o William Basset, pauper at Madron”.
7. “13 Mar 1796 James s/o William Bassett, pauper at Madron” was buried as an infant on 16 September 1797 as a pauper in Madron.
8. “17 Feb 1798 Hanna d/o William Basset, pauper at Madron private baptism”.
9. “23 Mar 1800 Jane d/o William Basset at Madron private baptism” was buried as a 12 year old on 12 Aug 1810 as a pauper in Madron.
No more info is currently available for William Bassett. Can you add to his biography?
The male descendants of William Bassett & Jane Matthews have been a lot easier to follow up.
I would like to discover what happened to the follwoing female children who were all baptised in the Madron parish church.
1. Anne Basset christened 1784
2. Mary Basset christened 1792
3. Hanna Bassett christened 1798
I also haven’t been able to trace the burials and/or deaths of either William Bassett or Jane Bassett nee Matthews who could have both possibly been born around 1762.
Any help would be much appreciated.
William is 27 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 24 degrees from Joseph Broussard, 32 degrees from Helmut Jungschaffer and 26 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.