Richard Bernard, Gent. is the son of Richard Bernard, Esq. [3,5] buried 24 April 1613, and his wife, Elizabeth Woolhouse [3,5] born c 1572, died about 1613.
Richard Bernard, Gent. was christened on 12 March 1609 at of Turvey, Bedfordshire, England; Age 26 in 1634. [2,5] He and Dorothy Alwey obtained a marriage license on 12 December 1632 at of Shenley, Hertfordshire, England. [2,3,5] Richard Bernard, Gent. married Anne Corderoy, daughter of William Corderoy, Esq. and Bridget Goddard, on 25 November 1634 at St. Andrew-in-the-Wardrobe, London, Middlesex, England. They had 3 sons (Richard; Corderoy; & Francis) and 2 daughters (Anna, wife of Maj. John Smith; & Elizabeth). [2,3,4,5,6]
They immigrated to Virginia before 2 Jan. 1646/7 and settled in York County.  Richard Bernard, Gent. was buried before 3 April 1651 at Gloucester, Virginia. [2,3,5]
Dorothy Alwey b. c 1608, d. b 25 Nov 1634
Anne Corderoy b. 29 Apr 1609, d. c 25 Sep 1671
Anna Bernard+ b. c 1644, d. 14 Apr 1698 (wife of Maj John Smith)
Richard Bernard is double first cousin to Willliam Bernard who immigrated from England to Virginia about 22 years before Richard. Being a double first cousin is the same genetically as being a sibling. William and Richard have the same grandparents - all four of them, because their fathers, Richard Bernard and Francis Bernard, who were brothers, married the Woolhouse sisters, Elizabeth and Mary. 
1. [S6622] Unknown author, Plantagenet Ancestry of 17th Century Colonists, by David Faris, p. 21; The Magna Charta Sureties, 1215, by F. L. Weis, 4th Ed., p. 57.
2. [S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 103.
3. [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 187.
4. [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 460.
5. [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 345.
6. [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. III, p. 400-401.
↑Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 187
↑Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, Vol I, page 187
MCP 1 - Weis, Frederick Lewis, Th.D., The Magna Carta Sureties, 1215 (Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD, 5th Edition - 1999)(Available at Amazon.com)