Sir Robert Boyd, 5th Lord of Kilmarnock
|Sir Thomas Boyd, 6th Lord of Kilmarnock
Sir Robert Boyd, 7th Lord of Kilmarnock
Thomas Boyd was born in 1547. He was the second son, but first surviving son, of Robert Boyd, the 5th Lord Boyd, 5th Lord Kilmarnock and Margaret Campbell. As eldest son of Robert Boyd, the 5th Lord Boyd, he assumed the lordship upon his father's death in death in 1590.
1568 (13 May) - Fought alongside his father at the battle of Langside for Mary, Queen of Scots.
1590 - Inherited the title Lord Boyd on the death of 5th Lord Boyd
1592 (12 Jan) - Resigned his whole estate to the King. He obtained a new charter thereof, "erecting the same into a free Lordship and Barony, to be called the Lordship and Barony of Kilmarnock" to himself for life, with remainder to his son and heir apparent, Robert, Master of Boyd, in tail male, remainder to "heirs male," thereby excluding the heirs general. Under this grant Thomas, not improbably, became Lord Boyd of Kilmarnock. He died June 1611.
Thomas Boyd married three times.
- Firstly, before 1568, Margaret, 2nd daughter of Sir Matthew Campbell, of Loudoun, by Isabel, daughter of Sir John Drummond, of Innerpeffry (p 165).
- Secondly, he married Jane Stockdale, youngest daughter of William Stockdale of Green Hamerton and his wife Dorothy Mill.
- He married, lastly, Elizabeth Wallace, who survived him. 
Thomas and Margaret had eight children as follows:
- Robert, Master of Boyd - As Robert died before his father, the estates and title passed to his son Robert. 
- Sir Thomas Boyd of Bedlay 
- Adam - married Margaret, sister of Robert Galbraith of Kilcroich 
- John - Of whom we have no record. 
- James 
- Marion - married James Hamilton, Earl of Abercorn. 
- Isabel - Isabel, according to Robertson, married John Blair, but Collins' Peerage states that James Stuart of Bute, (d. 1662) married Isabel, daughter of Sir Douglas Campbell of Auchinbrick and Isabel his wife, daughter of Thomas, Lord Boyd, which must mean that Isabel married twice. 
- Agnes - She married Sir George Elphinstone of Blytheswood. 
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Paul, James Balfour, (1904) The Scots Peerage, Volume 5. Edinburgh: D. DouglasArchive.org accessed 14 Sept 2016 (Vol 5, pp.163-168).
- Cokayne, George Edward, ed. (1912). Complete peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, extant, extinct or dormant (Bass to Canning) Volume 2. London: The St. Catherine Press, ltd.. pp. 261,262.
- Wikipedia, Thomas Boyd, 6th Earl of Boyd, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Boyd,_6th_Lord_Boyd
- Wikipedia, Earl of Kilmarnock, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Kilmarnock
Searching for someone else?
- Thomas C. Boyd
- Thomas The Archer Boyd
- Newberry Thomas Boyd
- Henry Thomas Boyd
- Thomas Boyd
- Thomas Boyd
- Thomas Craighead
- Thomas Boyd
- Thomas Reid Boyd Sr.
- Thomas Lee Boyd
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Thomas's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Ken Broughton, Amanda Pitts, Michael Hamilton, Curtis Boyd, and Mark McKinney. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 15 Feb 2015 at 20:45 GMT Marty (Lenover) Acks wrote:
Thomas is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 14 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 19 degrees from Ayn Rand, 18 degrees from Peter Roberts and 14 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.