- John Briggs Sr.'s Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Puritan Great Migration.
||John Briggs Sr. migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).|
Join: Puritan Great Migration Project
John was born in 1595. He passed away before 1687. He immigrated to New England before 1657 but there is no evidence that he was part of the great migration.
His sons Richard was born 1642 & William was born 1645 both in England and they immigrated with him after 1640.
There is no record of birth for Joanna but he did have a sister Joane. And there was another totally different Briggs family in Newport/Portsmouth, RI.
Also no record of birth for Hugh but he is mentioned in Taunton deeds along with his brothers William & Richard. And he was married in Taunton.
- John Briggs Sr (of Taunton)
- Birth Date: 1 May 1595
- Place: Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England
- Husband: John Briggs
- Wife: Agnes Thayer
- Child: Richard Briggs
- Child: William Briggs
- Child: Hugh Briggs
- Marriage Date: 11 Nov 1633
- Place: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England
- Death Date: BEF 1687
- Place: Taunton, Plymouth Colony, New England
- Found multiple copies of DEATH DATE using BEF 1687.
- The American Genealogist (TAG) V.59, 1983 http://hausegenealogy.com/source/TAG.pdf
- Briggs Family Genealogy http://hausegenealogy.com/briggs.html However, this has some errors in it and should not be fully trusted
- Source: S95. "Richard, William, and Hugh, Sons of John Briggs of Taunton, Massachusetts." Edna Anne Hannibal and Claude W. Barlow. The New England Historical and Genealogical Register; April 1971; Vol. 125, No. 2
- Source: S96: The American Genealogist. Author: Daniel Lines Jacobus. Publication: New Haven, CT; Joel Munsell's Sons; 1922-Present
- Source: S97. WorldConnect Database: "Bogdonoff-Dick Ancestry". Author: Jillaine Smith <firstname.lastname@example.org> March 2, 2008; RootsWeb.com. Repository: #R42
- Repository: R42l Address: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jss_pdb
- Source: S98. WorldConnect Database: "Dave Utzinger's Database". Author: Dave Utzinger <email@example.com> Publication: July 18, 2008; RootsWeb.com. Repository: #R43
- Source: S682. Ancestry.com. OneWorldTree. The Generations Network, Inc.; Location: Provo, UT, USA. Repository: #R32
- Source S-1988883823. Repository: #R-1992163608. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s. Author: Gale Research. Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc, 2010. Original data - Filby, P. William, ed. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s. Farmington Hills, MI, USA: Gale Research, 2010. APID: 7486::0
- Repository R32 and R-1992163608. Ancestry.com. http://www.Ancestry.com
- Source S-1988981437. Repository: #R-1992163608. U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900. Yates Publishing. Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.
- Source: #S-1992136522. Ancestry Family Trees. Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Text: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=24279608&pid=1711774487
- Richardson, Douglas, MA., The English Origins of John Briggs of Taunton, Mass, The American Genealogist, Volume 59, page 175+
- Barclay, Mrs. John E., F.A.S.G., Notes on the Briggs Family of Taunton, Mass, The American Genealogist, Volume 33, Page 76
- GEDCOM file imported on 18 Sep 2009 by Allan Morton.
- This person was created through the import of thayer jan11.ged on 05 January 2011.
- WikiTree profile Briggs-1449 created through the import of ROBISON Gedcom of DRR Ancestors and Descendants for WikiTree 01 JUL 2012.ged on Jul 1, 2012 by Dave Robison. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Dave and others.
- Thank you to Nora Sparks for creating Briggs-2089 on 22 Aug 13. Click the Changes tab for the details on contributions by Nora and others.
- This person was created through the import of Dickinson Family Tree.ged on 31 March 2011.
- This profile was adopted and edited. Ramsey-1224 23:35, 22 December 2014 (EST)
- WikiTree profile Briggs-1153 created through the import of Putnam2-1_2010-01-02_2011-02-16_2011-10-11.ged on Oct 12, 2011 by John Putnam. See the Changes page for the details of edits by John and others.
- Thank you to Kay Martin for creating WikiTree profile Briggs-2226 through the import of Martin-Rowe Family Tree.ged on Oct 22, 2013. Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Kay and others.
- Briggs-3518 was created by Tom Greene through the import of wikiedwardbabcock1.ged on May 17, 2015.
Searching for someone else?
- John Briggs
- John Briggs
- John Briggs
- John Briggs
- John W Briggs
- John Henry Briggs
- John Briggs
- John Briggs Sr.
- John Briggs
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- Please protect John Briggs-440 Oct 26, 2016.
- John Briggs of Taunton for Jillaine Smith et al Dec 19, 2015.
No known carriers of John's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Dave Robison, Allan Morton, John Putnam, Cindy Barnett, and Nora Sparks. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 26 Oct 2016 at 16:12 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
Please feel free to edit it with sourced info.
On 26 Oct 2016 at 15:15 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On 31 Dec 2015 at 19:14 GMT Alan Wyatt wrote:
On 27 Dec 2015 at 13:51 GMT David Mason wrote:
As far a FAG accuracy, I agree it is wanting. The location you mentioned at Oakland Cemetery in Taunton on FAG actually does NOT have a John Briggs buried there. There are 90 burials recorded there and he is NOT one of them. This evidently was someones made up grave. The Littleneck death date is correct so I am back on that to find a reason for him possibly being buried there since the Taunton location is bogus.
On 27 Dec 2015 at 07:54 GMT Alan Wyatt wrote:
On 25 Dec 2015 at 13:26 GMT David Mason wrote:
HOWEVER, the Taunton FAG record indicates a death date of 1690 which cannot be correct as there are documents from his son(s) that say he (John their father) was deceased in 1687
On 25 Dec 2015 at 07:54 GMT Alan Wyatt wrote:
On 30 Jun 2015 at 00:01 GMT S (Hill) Willson wrote:
On 29 Jun 2015 at 16:04 GMT David Mason wrote:
Bio indicates it is but needs more research in Marion,MA (formerly Rochester, MA)
On 21 May 2015 at 03:27 GMT Cindy (Ramsey) Barnett wrote:
John is 14 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 8 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 21 degrees from Ayn Rand, 18 degrees from Peter Roberts and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.