Categories: Disputed Existence.
- CAUTION: The earliest version of the Welsh, Brut Tysylio, dates to the 13th century. The story (and it's variations) are based on Geoffrey of Monmouth's unreliable, " History of the Kings of Britain."
The 3 Coels:
- Coel I - Coellus in Holinshed ([see pic #1 above Monarchs, table column 3, entry 5]); Coel I was of western British ancestry according to R W Morgan (Pic #2 above or see Royal family tree on the web page of National CV of Britain), the eastern branch of the royal family apparently lacking a male heir; but he was simply the son of Marius according to Tysilio, Holinshed & Enderbie, and De Wavrin.
- Coel II Kaercolvin-1 of Colchester, spouse of Strada The Fair, reigned in the AD 200s and was the father of Helen, the mother of Constantine the Great;
- Coel III reigned in the AD 400s.
When King Marius was dead, Coillus (Coel I), his son, who was a very courteous man graceful, wise, brave, and hardy, reigned after him; he knew all the Roman laws, for he had learned them in his youth at Rome, where he had been brought up, and he greatly loved the Romans, because he had received from them the knowledge of many a fine art and science. [Source: De Wavrin, p135]
Coel I was the Old King Cole of nursery rhyme fame.
This profile is the result of multiple ongoing merges between entries of many family trees. Interested parties are encouraged to edit together the various text blocks into a rational whole. As an historic figure, the privacy should be open or public at all times, if it is not please ask a manager to correct it.
Coillus Coel the sonne of Marius was after his fathers deceasse made king of Britaine, in the yeare of our Lord 125... When Coill had reigned the space of 54 yeares, he departed this life at Yorke, leaving after him a sonne named Lucius. [Source: Holinshed, Vol I, p511]
- Name: COLIUS King of Britain
- Name: Coel "Old King Coel" (Coilus) King Of /BRITAIN/
- Date: 85
- Place: Coel Castra, Essex, Colchester, England
- Date: ABT 60
- Place: Britain
- Place: Powys County, Wales
- Place: Siluria, Britain
- Place: Eboracum, now York, England
Marriage and Issue
Coel, son of Marius, of Britain married:
- Lucille, daughter of Lucius Artorius Castus, Roman prefect:
- Date: 150 - 170
- Place: Colchester, Essex, England
- Place: Carlisle, Scotland
- ↑ John de Wavrin, 1864, A Collection of the Chronicles and ancient Histories of Great Britain, now called England, translated by Will. Hardy: From Albina to A, Part 688 (Google eBook)
- ↑ The National CV of Britain, 3.2 Rulers AD. accessed 2014-04-26, amb
- ↑ David Hughes, The British Chronicles Vol. II, pp. 396, 399-400. added 2014-05-25, amb
- ↑ Hughes, The British Chronicles, p. 422
- Wikipedia entry for Coel Hen
- Royal Line, The: Albert F Schmuhl: March, 1929 NYC, NY - Rev. March 1980. Genealogical lineages may not always be from father to son, especially Houses of Kings
- Created through the import of master 11_12.ged on 21 October 2010.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Coel's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Bob Fields, Stephen Bridges, Jeff Johnson, Rhidian Harrington, and Gordon Bailey. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 1 May 2014 at 01:15 GMT Michelle (Bairfield) Brooks wrote:
- Claudia, daughter Emerita.
- Lucille, son Lucius.
Coel is 44 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 52 degrees from Bob Dylan, 46 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 45 degrees from Michael Phelps and 40 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.