Categories: 2nd Virginia Cavalry, Company I, CSA US Civil War.
||James Brown was part of the CSA during the US Civil War.|
Join: US Civil War Project
James W. Brown was born to brick mason William B. Brown(1806 Va) and Sarah Argenbright Brown(1810 Va) about 1839 in Lynchburg, Virginia.
From the 1850 and 1860 censuses of Lynchburg, it is shown James was the 5th child of at least 7, and that he and brother George were brick masons as well.
Known children of James parents William and Sarah Brown(w/est. birth years):
- John W Brown 1828
- Francis(m) 1833
- Caroline S. 1836
- George W. 1838
- James W. 1839
- Leslie(m) 1844
- Rosaline V 1844
all born in Virginia.
James W. Brown would enlist in the CSA on June 8, 1861, and began as Private with the 2nd Virginia Cavalry, Company I.
James would be promoted to 4th Corporal, and then to 2nd Lieutenant. Father William B. Brown would become a Colonel.
James was reported sick in November of 1862, and died April 23, 1863.
The Findagrave page for James W. Brown shows the detail of when he died, presumably of illness.
Father, Colonel William Brown passed away on December 3, 1869, with his tombstone noting "aged 64 years". James, brother George, and father William are buried at Spring Hill Cemetery in Lynchburg.
- *Findagrave Memorial 151265653
- 1850 census Lynchburg, Campbell, Virginia, JAMES W. BROWN
- 1860 census Lynchburg, Campbell, Virginia, page 98, JAS W BROWNE(sic)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of James's ancestors' Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.