Lorin was born in 1903 in Long Beach, California.[1,2] He was the only child of Albert Brown and Mabel Middleham Brown. His parents divorced two years after he was born, and two years after that his mother married Robert Shafer, who was her cousin. The 1910 census shows Mabel, Robert, Lorin and Mabel's mother Ann Middleham living together in Los Angeles; Robert is working as a butcher. In 1917, Mabel and Robert divorced. The 1920 census shows Mabel, her mother and Lorin living in Orange County, with Mabel working as a lemon-picker.
On October 8, 1927, Lorin married Mary Lou Whittier in Los Angeles. A son, Harry, their only child, was born the following year. In 1930, Lorin was working as a jewelry merchant in San Fernando, California.[6,7] When Lorin registered for the draft on Dec. 2, 1943, he was 39 years old and listed his address as Santa Ana, California. In his draft registration, he listed his mother, W. B. Hawkins (?), as his next of kin.[Note 1]
On September 2, 1942 Lorin married Isabella McCallum in Sheffield, England. Lorin and Isabella arrived back in the U.S. in September, 1944 year on the ship Mauretania, sailing from Liverpool to New York, and settled in Seattle.[9, 11] Lorin and Isabella had three sons and a daughter, one in England and the other three in Washington.
Lorin died at age 82 in Bellevue, Washington.[1,2]
1. The identity of W. B. Hawkins is a mystery. His mother Mabel Claire Middleham was alive in 1943, but had divorced his father in 1905, two years after Lorin's birth, so he may not have known her. Lorin's father remarried twice; so perhaps W. B. Hawkins was a fourth wife.
1. United States Social Security Death Index.
2. Washington State Digital Archives, Social Security Death Index, https://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/Record/View/5F6941B2668C708590DF232F18265940
3. U.S. Census, Los Angeles Assembly District 74, Los Angeles, California, 1910.
4. U.S. Census, Placentia, Orange, California, 1920.
5."California, County Marriages, 1850-1952," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K8NV-8TF : 8 December 2017), Lorin Thureman Brown and Mary Lou Whittier, 08 Oct 1927; citing Los Angeles, California, United States, county courthouses, California; FHL microfilm 2,074,707.
6. U.S. Census, Los Angeles (Districts 0501-0750), Los Angeles, California, 1930.
7. U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989 (Beta), Ancestry.com Operations, 2011; San Fernando, California, City Directory, 1930 (Lorin T Brown and Mary Brown).
8. U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947, Ancestry.com Operations, 2011.
9. Washington, Petitions for Naturalization, 1860-1991, Ancestry.com Operations, 2011.
10. New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957, Ancestry.com Operations, 2010.
11. Seattle Daily Times, Mar 10, 1946, p. 60.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
Lorin is 23 degrees from Walter Morrison, 30 degrees from Alison Wilkins and 19 degrees from Victoria of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.