BORN 1795 DIED 23 APR 1863
MARRIED Cynthia Holmes 23 NOV 1823
1) Elijah Brumfield b. ca 1825, d. ca 1860
2) John Brumfield b. 8 NOV 1830, d. 25 MAR 1896
3) William Brumfield b. ca 1833
4) Emily Brumfield b. 6 FEB 1835, d. 23 JUL 1914
5) Eveline Brumfield b. 8 AUG 1837, d. 20 JAN 1922
6) Angeline Brumfield b. abt 1837-1840, d. 8 JUL 1866
7) Elisha Brumfield b. 1 DEC 1840, d. 25 NOV 1911
8) Isaac Brumfield b. 15 MAR 1843, d. 26 OCT 1921
9) Jesse Brumfield b. 4 MAR 1845, d. 6 DEC 1918
10) Louisa Brumfield b. ca 1847
(extracted from BRUMFIELD HISTORIES by Albert Ray Brumfield and Dell Magee Clawson)
Davis Brumfield was born in 1795 in South Carolina, and died April 23, 1863 in Pike County, Mississippi. He married November 23, 1823 Cynthia Holmes, daughter of Elisha Holmes and Sally Stovall. Cynthia's syster Nancy married Willis Brumfield and her sister Elizabeth married Isaac Brumfield. Cynthia was born in 1804 in Georgia,and died 7-10-1884. They are buried in the Davis Brumfield cemetery, southeast of Tylertown, Mississippi.
Davis Brumfield served in the War of 1812 as Private in the 12th & 13th Consolidated Regiment of the Louisiana Militia. That regiment appears to have guarded the Madisonville, Louisiana Naval Base during the Battle of New Orleans. In the service record, we find an affidavit by Cynthia in her application for his veteran's bounty land:
Abstract: DAVIS BRUMFIELD: 25 April 1878, Cynthia Brumfield, widow of soldier, age 73, certified that soldier had black hair, blue eyes, and was 6 feet high; That she married soldier in Pike County, Mississippi 23 November 1823, by Thomas Pleasant, J.P., that her maiden name was Cynthia Holmes; that soldier died 23 April 1863 in Pike County, Mississippi.
Davis originally settled on 608 acres, Section 48, T2S, R2E, on the West Bank of the Bogue Chitto River, between Franklinton and Richardson, Louisiana. They moved to Pike County, Missisippi as attested to by son John's birth in Mississippi in 1830. Davis and Cynthia had 10 children as reported by the 1850 census, Pike County,
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.