Categories: US Presidents | Franklin County, Pennsylvania | US Ambassadors to the United Kingdom | US Secretaries of State | US Ambassadors to Russia | US Senators from Pennsylvania | US Representatives from Pennsylvania | Democratic Political Party | Federalist Political Party | Mercersburg, Pennsylvania | Lancaster, Pennsylvania | This Day In History April 23 | This Day In History June 01 | Woodward Hill Cemetery, Lancaster, Pennsylvania | Namesakes US Counties | Notables | Clan Buchanan.
||James Buchanan Jr. was the President of the United States.|
Join: US Presidents Project
John C. Calhoun
of the United States
17th United States
Secretary of State
US Senator (Class 3)
John M. Clayton
Born on 23 April 1791 in Cove Gap, he was the son of businessman and farmer James Buchanan, Sr. (1761–1821) and Elizabeth Speer.
In 1797, the family moved nearby to Mercersburg, Pennsylvania, where their home was later converted into the James Buchanan Hotel.
Buchanan attended the village academy (Old Stone Academy) and later Dickinson College. Although expelled for behavior, he eventually graduated with honors on September 19, 1809. Later that year he moved to Lancaster, and studied law. He was admitted to the bar in 1812.
A Federalist, James initially opposed the War of 1812, but when the British invaded Maryland, he joined a volunteer light dragoon unit to defend Baltimore.
Called "doughface," Buchanan was "a Northerner with Southern sympathies," which caused problems when it came to slavery. He could not maintain peace between the North and South, so the South succeeded, heralding a looming civil war.
- Minister to the UK (Aug 23, 1853 – Mar 15, 1856)
- 17th Secretary of State (Mar 10, 1845 – Mar 7, 1849)
- Senator: PA (Dec 6, 1834 – Mar 5, 1845}
- Minister to Russia (Jan 4, 1832 – Aug 5, 1833)
- Chairman of the House Committee on the Judiciary (Mar 4, 1829 – Mar 4, 1831)
- House of Reps: PA 4th district (Mar 4, 1823 – Mar 4, 1831)
- House of Reps: PA 3rd district (Mar 4, 1821 – Mar 4, 1823)
- Religion: Presbyterian
- Freemason: Initiated: 11 Dec1816, Lodge No. 43, Lancaster, PA; Master of Masonic Lodge No. 43. Lancaster, PA; District Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania.
- bur. Woodward Hill Cemetery, Lancaster, PA
Most Distant Known Ancestors
- Paternal Thomas Buchanan
- Link to 10 Generation Paternal Chart
- Maternal Mary Patterson
- Link to 10 Generation Maternal Chart
Three states have named counties in honor of President Buchanan: Iowa, Missouri and Virginia.
- ↑ Wikipedia: James Buchanan; White House; Memorial #143, Find a Grave
- ↑ numerous historians claim James Buchanan was gay. See: . Loewen, J. (2012, May 14). Our real first gay president. www.salon.com
- ↑ Franklin County, Pennsylvania Buchanan's Birthplace State Park; )
- ↑ create category for Scotch- Irish?
- ↑ second of eleven children, 3 died in infancy.
- ↑ ; need to find siblings
- ↑ (in 2012 a pub and restaurant)
- ↑ Wikipedia
- ↑ other Pres. Freemasons
- ↑ Wikipedia
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of James's ancestors' Y-chromosome or mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 5 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Vicki Norman and Eva Ramos. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 24 Feb 2017 at 15:39 GMT Linda (Sherman) Stienstra wrote:
On 17 Feb 2017 at 09:09 GMT Jaynie (Flippen) Anderson wrote:
On 19 Apr 2016 at 06:16 GMT Donnie Blackstone wrote:
On 15 Nov 2014 at 06:53 GMT Isara (Chellis) Argent wrote:
James is 22 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 17 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 24 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 20 degrees from David Selman and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.