Categories: Palatine Migrants.
||John (Buhrman) Poorman was a Palatine Migrant.|
Join: Palatine Migration Project
[Profile Manager's Note: There are records under both the Buhrman and Poorman surnames. Source  states that Buhrman was the original German spelling of the surname, but that English speaking clerks at the port of entry wrote it as Poorman, leading to widespread use of that spelling in America. Most family members eventually went back to the original spelling. Poorman is the surname inscribed on John's tombstone, however.]
Interred at Mount Bethel Cemetery, Garfield, Frederick County, MD .
[Profile Manager's Note: Source  has additional biographical information and states, among other things, that the family farm where John, Catharina, and daughter Anna were originally buried became part of Catoctin Mountain Park in the 1930s. The source credits the information to that researcher's great aunt, Betty Byers Cooper, who developed a notebook of genealogy data.]
Immigrated through the port of Philadelphia on 10 Nov 1767 on the ship Sally.
Introductory text in the applicable List of Arrivals :
"[List 269C] At the Court House, Novemr 10, 1767. "Present: John Gibson, Esquire. "The Foreigners whose names are underwritten, imported in the Ship Sally, Patrick Brown, Master, from Rotterdam, but last from Cowes, did this day take and subscribe the usual Qualifications. 62 whole Freights. 36 in the List. Consign'd to Mr Jno Ross, Mercht. pd 23 Novem. 1767.
"[Entry 30]: Johannes Burman."
[Profile Manager's Note: At the time John came to Philadelphia, arriving male immigrants over the age of 16 were required to take an oath of allegiance to King George the Second of Great Britain and the Province of Pennsylvania. Sources  and  confirm the immigration data and the information about the oath.]
Date of marriage is an estimate based on John's arrival in the U.S. in 1767 and the birth of John and Catharina's son Henry in 1769.
This profile is a collaborative work-in-progress. Can you contribute information or sources?
2. [G01] "Leckron, Brechbiel, Baker, Byers and many more!" (Data base jayeffel, Joel Leckron <firstname.lastname@example.org>). Profile for Poorman, John, born 1743 ± 2 (ID I86013), change date 20 May 2012. (Accessed 01 Aug 2014.)
3. [D01] U.S. 1810 Census (J. Poorman). Residence, Frederick County, MD. Head of household with 1 male (26-45), 1 male (45 and over), and 1 female (10-26). (Accessed 30 Jul 2014.)
4. [D01] U.S. 1800 Census (John Poorman). Residence, Emmitsburg District, Frederick County, MD. Head of household with 1 male (10-16), 1 male (16-26), 1 male (45 and over), 1 female (16-25), and 1 female (45 and over). (Accessed 30 Jul 2014.)
5. [D01] U.S. 1790 Census (John Poorman). Residence, Frederick County, MD. Head of household with 2 males (16 and up), 2 males (to 16), and 5 females. (Accessed 30 Jul 2014. No image available.
6. Egle, William Henry, M.D., Editor, "Names of Foreigners Who Took the Oath of Allegiance to the Province and State of Pennsylvania 1727 - 1775, With the Foreign Arrivals, 1786 - 1808," Vol. XVII, Pennsylvania Archives, Edwin K. Meyers, State Printer, 1892, p 484. (Online at <http://books.google.com/books?id=iEAOAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Oath++of+Allegiance+to+Pennsylvania&hl=en&sa=X&ei=TM8hVILeG6aIsQSH4ICoBA&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Oath%20%20of%20Allegiance%20to%20Pennsylvania&f=false>, accessed 22 Sep 2014.)
7. Strassburger, Ralph Beaver, LL.D., "Pennsylvania German Pioneers, A Publication of the Original Lists of Arrivals In the Port of Philadelphia from 1727 to 1808," edited by William John Hinke, Ph.D., D.D., Volume 1, 1727 - 1775, Pennsylvania German Society, Norristown, PA, 1934, List 269C, pp 719 - 720. (Online at <http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=inu.30000007109121;view=1up;seq=15>, Public Domain, Google-digitized, accessed 22 Sep 2014.)
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at MyHeritage DNA.
There are no public comments yet.
John is 19 degrees from Dave Rutherford, 20 degrees from John Wayne and 19 degrees from Victoria of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.