Simon Francis Bulger was born in Ireland in 1815 (this is yet to be confirmed as his year of birth or age varies with different records - 1815 (convict indent), 1825 (father¹s death certificate), 1823 (his own death certificate).
He migrated to Australia with the rest of the family, on the “Duchess of Northumberland” arriving on 27 February 1835. They had moved to Australia to be with their father and older brother were had been sent to Australia as convicts.
In the mid 1840’s Simon, then in his 30’s, had moved to Sydney in an attempt to find work.
In Sydney Simon met an Irish girl, Jane Flanagan, who was born on 15 July 1825, and they were married at St. Mary’s Church, Sydney on 16 January 1849. Simon was 34 years of age and Jane was 23 years old.
On Tuesday, the 16th instant, by special license, at St. Mary's Cathedral, by the Rev. Mr. Powell, Simon, second son of Mr. John Bulger, of Pretty Plains, Bathurst, to Jane, third daughter of Mr. Patrick Flanagan, of Sydney.
The wedding announcement, which appeared in the Sydney Morning Herald on 19 January 1849, stated:
Simon Bulger, 2nd Son of John Bulger of Pretty Plains, Bathurst married 16-1-1849 at St. Mary's Cathedral to Jane, 3rd daughter of Patrick Flanagan of Sydney.
After the wedding they moved back to Bathurst and in 1857 they were living in Russell Street. At some point Simon and Jane moved to the largest silver-mining town in the Southern Hemisphere called Sunny Corner, which is about 20km from Bathurst. Frances Jane Bolger, their twelfth and last child was born here on 23 June 1868. In the 1870-1871 electoral records Simon Bulger is a household owner in Stewart Street, Bathurst.
Simon Bulger, like his father, became a publican and was licensee of two different hotels located on Russell Street. The first licence was granted in May 1854 for the “Prince Albert Inn” which was built on part 13 of Section 7 of Russell Street. It is probable that this inn was first opened circa 1853 and it is likely that it was not licensed until after 1866. Simon was the licensee of this hotel twice – in 1854 to 1856 and then again in 1861 to 1865. It was later demolished in 1934 and soon afterwards cottages were built on the site. The second inn was the “Rainbow Inn” which was built on parts 18/19 of section 7 of Russell Street. This location was described as “adjoining Dr. Palmer’s bridge”, and was close to the Rankin Street intersection. Simon obtained a licence for this inn in 1856 and remained the licensee until 1860.
When John died, Simon Bulger also became the owner of the “Hibernian Hotel” although it was not until 1858 that he was able to become the licensee / publican and he remained so until January 1859. Simon then leased the inn to other people and in 1861 he changed its name to the “Rainbow Inn”, a name he had also used for another inn in Russell Street. In 1867 he again became the licensee for one year. The hotel ceased to trade in 1876 and was demolished in 1899 and there is now a cottage (Number 95 Stewart Street) and home units (number 101 Stewart Street) on the site.
Simon was also the licensee of the “Exchange Hotel” an inn built in Durham Street in late 1846 or early 1847. During its history it had a variety of names and licensees. Simon was licensee twice, in 1866 and then again in 1873 to 1877 – in each case he renamed it the “Exchange Hotel”. In 1888 a portion of the old inn was incorporated into a large house, called “Kilrush”, built on the site that was numbered 54 Durham Street. It is now demolished and covered by part of “Bathurst Motors”.
DEATH OF MR. S. F. BOLGER.
We regret to announce the death of Mr. S. F. Bolger, which took place at the residence of his son in-law, Mr. Flynn, Sydney, on the 8th instant. The deceased gentleman was a well-known resident of Bathurst in former years, and was an active member of SS. Michael and John's Cathedral congregation, contributing solidly but unosten- tatiously to the Cathedral erection, For upwards of thirty years he was in business in that city, and in the very early days his hostelry was almost wholly the resting-place of the Judges and Bar risters engaged in the Western Circuit. In his younger days Mr. Bolger was employed by his father — a master carrier — in delivering produce from the Western District by teams to Sydney, and in that connection earned the reputation of being the most expert driver that ever piloted a team over the then perilous Blue Mountain track to the Haymarket, Sydney. Deceased was 73 years of age at the time of his death. His end was materially hastened by the death of his wife, which occurred a, few years ago. He was a devout Catholic, and died fortified by the rites of the Church. The remains were interred at Rookwood on Mon day afternoon, alongside those of his wife and his daughter, Miss Helen Genevieve Bolger. R.I. P.￼ 
The Sydney Morning Herald
Births Deaths and Marriages NSW
"The Convicts" an unpublished history of the Bulger family, written by Geoff Johnston.
The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954) Friday 19 January 1849 p 4
Marriage Records NSW
6/1849 V18496 96 BULGER SIMON / FLANAGAN JANE / LD
Jane Flanagan & Simon Bulger
Marriage: Jan 16 1849 St. Marys Cathedral, Australia
Wife: Jane Flanagan
Marital status: Single
Father: Patrick Flanagan
Husband: Simon Bulger
Marital status: Single
Father: John Bulger
Death Record NSW
BOLGER SIMON F /607/1896 / father JOHN / mother UNKNOWN / district GLEBE
Is Simon your ancestor? Please don't go away! Login to collaborate or comment, or contact
the profile manager, or ask our community of genealogists a question.
Sponsored Search by Ancestry.com
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Simon by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA.
However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line.
It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share some percentage (beta) of DNA with Simon: