Died in 12 Chestnut Street, Surrey Hills, Melbourne, Australia
Profile last modified
| Created 24 May 2012
This page has been accessed 652 times.
Ruth Burton was born in Newland, Coleford, England 
but was raised in Monmouth, Wales, just 5.5 Km West of her birthplace. Hence the belief that she was "born in Wales".
Ruth is reported as having "turned 80 in 1966", suggesting a birth year of 1886. Then again, the 1891 UK Census lists her as 7 years old, which would indicate a birth year of 1884. A search of Parish Records shows that Ruth was born March 26, 1884 and baptised (at Coleford) on April 23, 1884. 
Following her marriage to Victor Harris, she migrated to Australia aboard the "Beltana" in 1912. 
Ruth Amy Harris was cremated at The Necropolis, Springvale, she has an everlasting rose tree. Area/Grevillea, Garden/OJO6, Section/0004, Position/0032.
Ruths middle name Amy has been passed along onto 4 generations.
Phyliss Amy daughter,
Susan Amy grand daughter,
Melissa Amy great grand daughter, a beautiful silver brooch with the name Amy is now held by Melissa.
Peter Knowles. Click the Changes tab for the details of edits by Peter and others.
Susan Fraser. Click the Changes tab for the details of edits by Susan and others.
Photo source: Marian Brennan - posted on the "Forest of Dean Family History" website.
↑Newland is a beautiful village in the western side of the Forest of Dean, and its origins can be traced back to the time of Edward I. Beside the village is a hill which was strongly fortified by the ancient Britons. The church, known as "The Cathedral of the Forest" dates back to the 13th century. Nearby stands a huge ancient oak tree with its trunk measuring 46 ft in girth, and which may be the biggest in England, (see photo). Close to the church are the old almshouses, founded by a London haberdasher in the 1500's. Within the church is an old brass engraving known as "the Miners Brass", (see photo), showing a Forest miner with a candle in his mouth, a pick axe in his hand, and a hod. This has become one of the "symbols" of the Forest of Dean.