Profile last modified 18 May 2018
| Created 12 Apr 2018
This page has been accessed 161 times.
Hugh was born before 1250. He was the son of Osbert Cailly. He was Lord of the manor of Oby, Norfolk, and also had a quarter of a knight's fee at Richmond, Yorkshire. He was one of the first recorded members of the family to have land in Yorkshire.
In 53 Henry III (1268-9) he and his wife conveyed to Alan, Prior of Walsingham, 2½ acres of meadow. He passed away in 1286.
In 1350 the monks of the Church of St Helen, Norwich were released by the Bishop of Norwich from the obligation to find three monks to "sing for the souls of Hugh de Caily and Agnes his wife."
↑ The Legards of Anlaby and Ganton, Col. Sir James Digby Legard KCB, pub. Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & Co, London 1926, p.170
↑ Foster, Pedigrees of the County Families of Yorkshire - North and East Riding, 1874: Cayley tree
↑ An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: volume 4, Francis Blomefield, 1806, p.387