- James Cannon's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
J.W. wanted to produce a textile product. His company sold towels under the name "Cannon Towels."
In 1905, J.W. bought 600 acres of land, that was previously a cotton plantation, in Northwestern Cabarrus County. On this land he planned and built a small mill village, known as Kannapolis, where the workers in his plant could live. The mill, built here, was known as Plant 1 and opened in 1908.
In January of the following year, the company had employed 840 people in the single plant in Kannapolis. While building the small mill village, he also built a YMCA that, at the time, had the largest membership of any YMCA in the world.
J.W. began to donate money and land for the construction of a school, McIver, that opened that year. He then built stores, businesses and churches for the community. He donated more money to the Cabarrus County Government in order to improve the main road from Concord to Kannapolis.
In 1917, J.W. set up a life insurance policy for all of his employees, something that had never been done for employees of a company.
J.W.'s son, Charles Albert Cannon, took over the business when his father's health began to fail.
- Data Changed:
- Date: 1 MAR 2004
Prior to import, this record was last changed 1 MAR 2004.
- Place: Oakwood Cemetery, Concord, North Carolina
- WikiTree profile Cannon-266 created through the import of HAYER.GED on May 29, 2011 by Larry Hayer. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Larry and others.
- "North Carolina Deaths, 1906-1930," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F36G-CNG : accessed 15 March 2016), Joseph H. Cannon in entry for James William Cannon, Senior, 19 Dec 1921; citing Concord, No 12, Cabarrus, North Carolina, reference IT 6 253, State Department of Archives and History, Raleigh; FHL microfilm 1,892,801.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of James's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
James is 22 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 23 degrees from Bob Dylan, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 21 degrees from Michael Phelps and 21 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.