- Joseph Cantrell's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Cantrell Name Study.
- Joseph Cantrill, son of Richard and Dorothy (Jones) Cantrill, spent his early years in Philadelphia. He probably moved to the lower counties after reaching adulthood. About 1718, he married Catherina __ (surname and parentage still not documented to this day).
- Joseph and Catherina were living in New Castle Co., PA on or near the site of present-day Wilmington, DE and were attendants at Holy Trinity (Old Swedes) Church before 1720. Records of the baptism of three of their children are on file at this oldest and quaintest church in the nation. Christina Parish was mostly situated on both sides of Christina Creek, partly on both sides of Brandywine Creek in New Castle County, and in the Hundreds of New Castle, Christina and Brandywine. It stretched two Swedish miles in length and one in breadth. The most remote families of the parish were not more than six and a half English miles distant from the church. The city of Wilmington is built on the Swedish “church land” and the charter for the town was granted in 1735. At the time Joseph Cantrill went there, it was known as Christina.
- Although many of the earliest records of this area have been lost or destroyed, there is evidence, however, from the scattered records of New Castle County today, that descendants of Richard Cantrill lived there from before 1720 until 1787, though the majority moved south during this period.
- A published work of the wills and probates of the county during the period of Joseph’s residence there fails to reveal his will or probate. Since he was a man in his 50s when his sons moved south to Carolina, it can be assumed that he made the move also. In the tax list of the Orange County Court, NC, for 1754, his son John’s household listed two taxable white males. Since John’s sons were under 10 years old, it can be assumed that this was his father, Joseph.
- Catherina d. before 1812 in New Castle Co, PA (now DE).
- The list below of the children was compiled from the records of Susan Cantrell Christie and Warren Cantrell, family genealogists, and the county records of Orange County, NC.
- 1. Hannah Cantrill, b. Mar 20, 1720, Christina, New Castle, PA; d. about 1721
- 2. (Daughter) Cantrill, b. 1722, Wilmington, New Castle Co., PA; d. about 1722
- 3. John Cantrell, Sr., b. Oct 6, 1724, New Castle Co., PA (now DE)
- 4. Stephen Cantrill, b. about 1725, New Castle County, PA. Stephen is listed in the Court of Orange County, May, 1764, when Thomas Hart sued him on a debt. In the records of Wilkes County, GA, 1777-1787, Stephen died intestate and George Lumpkin, carpenter, creditor of said deceased appointed administrator Oct 25, 1783.
- 5. Joseph Cantrill, Jr., b. about 1726, New Castle Co., PA
- 6. Zebulon Cantrill, b. about 1727, New Castle Co., PA (now DE)
- 7. Sarah Cantrill, b. 1728, New Castle Co., PA; d. Nov 1783, Bedford, VA
- 8. Isaac Cantrill, Sr., b. 1732-33 in VA
- 9. Benjamin Cantrill, b. about 1733, New Castle Co, PA. He is listed in the Court records of Orange County, NC. The Court of Sep 1759, Benjamin Cantrill proved an account of one pound, fifteen shillings against the estate of Andrew Culbertson, Deceased, for funeral charges and attendance upon the same. No later record of Benjamin.
- 10. James Cantrill, b. about 1735, Wilmington, New Castle Co., PA; d. before 1780, Guilford Co., NC; m. to Katherine __ about 1752
- Joseph Cantrell ... 
- Richard Cantrell married Dorothy Jones in the early 1690's. As she was a quaker and Richard may have been of the Church of England, to use the Quaker term, they were married. "Out of Meeting".
- Joseph Cantrell
- 1695 Philadelphia, Delaware, Pennsylvania, United States
- 1695 in Birth city: Philadelphia; Birth state: PA
- 1718 Marriage place: New Castle, DE
- 1718 New Castle, Lawrence, Pennsylvania, United States
- 1738 New Castle, Lawrence, Pennsylvania, United States
- 1738 New Castle, DE
- 1738 Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware, USA
- Holy Trinity (Old Swedes') Church
- ↑ Entered by George Cantrell, Sunday, August 18, 2013.
- U.S., Sons of the American Revolution Membership Applications, 1889-1970
- Ancestry.com; http://www.Ancestry.com
- Christie, Susan Cantrill. The Cantrill-Cantrell Genealogy: A Record of the Descendants of Richard Cantrill, who was a Resident of Philadelphia Prior to 1689, and of Earlier Cantrills in England and America. New York: The Grafton Press Genealogical Publishers, 1908. p 7
- U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
- Cantrell-Potter-Magness : ancestry of Alvin Edward Potter, Sr., Nashville, Tenn.: unknown, 1938.Original data: Whitley, Edythe Johns Rucker,. Note: Typescript (mimeographed).|||Includes bibliographical references. APID: 1,21513::0
- Research by Warren G. Cantrell, 8/31/1998.
- Research by Mildred Butts, Jul 8, 2002.
- Research by LaVonna Wood, 8/28/1998.
- WFT Vol. 73 Tree 0183 dated 1-14-2001.
- 'Find a Grave' record: created by: jcq, Record added: Feb 24, 2012, Find A Grave Memorial# 85625396
- This person was created through the import of PittsPenn_2010-09-21.ged on 22 September 2010.
- WikiTree profile Cantrell-306 created through the import of WikiGedcom.ged on Nov 14, 2011 by Darlene Nelson.
- Thanks to Mary Ruth Westerman for starting this profile.
- WikiTree profile Cantril-7 created through the import of mom_2012-08-01.ged on Aug 2, 2012 by John Stroud.
- WikiTree profile Cantril-12 created through the import of taylor gedcom.ged on Sep 7, 2012 by John Stroud.
- WikiTree profile Cantrell-445 created through the import of Lozon.ged on Jul 26, 2012 by Jamie Henderson.
On 13 Jan 2017 Donna (Campbell) Goodwin wrote:
On 13 Oct 2012 Barry Williams wrote:
Joseph spent his early boyhood In Philadelphia, PA. After he married Catharina Heath, they lived In New Castle, Lawrence, Pennsylvania, on Oregon near the site of the present city of Wilmington, New Castle, DE, and were attendants at Holy Trinity (Old Swedes) Church before 1720. It is probable that Catharina was a daughter of one of the Old Swedes, first settlers of this section, but this could not be verified. Their first three children were baptized at the old historic church still used and known as Old Swedes, which is one of the oldest and quaintest churches in this country.
BIOGRAPHY: The city of Wilmington is built on the Swedish "church land" and the charter for the town was granted in 1735. At the time Joseph C antrill went there it was known as Christina. There is evidence from scattered records In New Castle, that descendants of Richard Cantrill lived there from before 1720 until 1797, though the majority moved south during this period. (From The Cantrill-Cantrell Genealogy)
Login to add your own memory.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Joseph by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Glenn Cantrell : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 67 markers, haplogroup I2b1a, Ysearch U8M2G, FTDNA kit #232863
- Scott Fair : 23andMe, GEDMatch M005391
- Darlene (Nelson) Carerros : 23andMe, GEDMatch F17810 + AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A829471, Ancestry member darlenemarie2006 + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch F17810, FTDNA kit #17810
- Anonymous (Long) Gill : 23andMe, GEDMatch M093416 + AncestryDNA, GEDMatch None, Ancestry member gijoeinfinity + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch F179624, FTDNA kit #179624
- Donna (Campbell) Goodwin : 23andMe, GEDMatch M163244 + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch M163244, FTDNA kit #B32858
- Bobbi (Marshall) Sundeen : 23andMe, GEDMatch M655926 + AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A946723, Ancestry member BearkittenNC
- Diane Nelson : AncestryDNA
- Cheryl (Moseman) Rowe : AncestryDNA, Ancestry member cherowe1
- April Renee Carney : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A711025, Ancestry member aprilcarneylovell
- Anonymous (Crump) Hawkins : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A069062, Ancestry member geraldhughes1021
- Bill Schroeder : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T130757, FTDNA kit #553954
- Glen Nelson : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch F38843, FTDNA kit #38843
- Ray Hawkins : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T307021, FTDNA kit #542433
- Tyran (Kimmons) Thornton : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T194908, FTDNA kit #495612
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Darlene Carerros, MG Pitts, Barry Williams, John Stroud, Jamie Lynn Henderson, and Mary Murdock. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Joseph is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 12 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 21 degrees from Ayn Rand, 19 degrees from Peter Roberts and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.