- John Carter's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: US Southern Colonist.
||John Carter settled in the Southern Colonies in North America prior to incorporation into the USA.|
Join: US Southern Colonies Project
Of the four sons of Robert Carter, John, of Crotoman the eldest, will be the only one mentioned in this sketch since it is through him the' Tennessee family traces its line of descent from the Virginia Carters.
John of Crotoman inherited his grandfather's plantation on the Rappahannock, but through his marriage with Elizabeth Hill he came into possession of what was then the most renowned' plantation in Virginia, that of Shirley, which Sir Edward Hill had purchased for his bride, a Welsh heiress and court beauty.
John Carter "the second," studied law in London at the Inner Temple. In 1722 he was appointed secretary of Virginia and is known in Carter genealogy as "Secretary Carter". As secretary he seems to have resided mostly at Williamsburg and at Shirley. Crotoman was a tobacco mart, and records show that at one time he upheld one Joseph Carter as inspector despite the accusations against him and the protestations of Corbin, Receiver of Customs, and other officials.
Death came to Secretary Carter July 31, 1742. After the prescribed period of mourning expired, Elizabeth Carter married a certain Browler Cocke of whom little is known except that he held Shirley until the year 1771, at which date Charles Carter of Crotoman came into the estate of Shirley.
- shirley plantation
- John Carter
- Zella Armstrong & Janie Preston Collup French, Notable Southern Families
- Source: S-1499248329 Repository: #R-1668899733 Title: Ancestry Family Trees Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. Page: Ancestry Family Tree Data: Text: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=54585233&pid=2269
- Repository: R-1668899733 Name: Ancestry.com
- ↑ Armstrong & French, pp. 59-63
This person was created through the import of Tribal Pages 0004.ged on 25 March 2011.
Carter-2998 created through the import of familytreex.ged on Jul 20, 2011 by Adri Oldershaw. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Adri and others.
Thank you to Kristin Schmidt for creating WikiTree profile Carter-7533 through the import of Kristin Schmidt family tree.ged on May 24, 2013. Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Kristin and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with John by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with John:
- Rose (Elliott) Rogers : 23andMe, GEDMatch M144224 + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, FTDNA kit #b2081
- Betty (Lambert) Lanterman : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A423606, Ancestry member Jane11511
- Jane Lanterman : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch a544145
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: US Southern Colonies Project WikiTree, Fontaine Wiatt, Dave Patrick, Adri Oldershaw, and Jerry Smith. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 15 Jan 2017 at 09:43 GMT Eric Daly wrote:
John is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 11 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 23 degrees from Ayn Rand, 18 degrees from Peter Roberts and 15 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.