- Pete Castro's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Pietro Castro is born 2 April 1883 in Corleone, the son of Antonino Castro and Luigia Marino, and baptized the next day as Petrum. His godfather is Carmelo Pennino.
Pietro immigrates at age 14 with his parents and siblings. They enter the United States at the Port of New York on June 24, 1897 on the S.S. Oregon, port of departure Naples, Campania, Italy.
Pietro is a plastering contractor by profession. His Declaration of Intention from 1924 confirms this. It also describes him as 5'6 1/2" inches tall, 190 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes with no distinctive marks.
According to Vincent di Carlo's family history, in 1905, "Pete" (as he is called) is living with his brother Salvatore at 2022 Fulton Avenue in Manhattan.
According to the state census that year, Peter is living with two of his sisters, one of them married to Stephen Lasala.
In the 1905 New York State Census, household number 2027 in the Bronx has three heads. The first is Peter Castro, 22, with his sister, Jennie Castro, 24. The next head is Stephen Lasala, 25, his wife "Nances" (Francesca Paola, Peter's sister), 26, and their two infant daughters. The first child is called "Margherita" in the transcription, age one year, and is a match for Domenica's age (b. 4 Dec 1903). The second is Louisa (b. 30 Nov 1904), who is less than a year old. The third family in this household is headed by Carmine Marino, 43, with his wife Concetta, 38, and their children: Mary, 17, Raphaele, 16, Minnie, 14, Joseph, 13, Michael, 10, Janette, 6, Rosa, 2, and John, 1. Mary and Raphaele are silk workers. Concetta and Stephen's wife, and Peter's sister, are housekeepers. Carmine is a confectioner. Stephen is a Builder, and Peter is a Plasterer. Peter, Jennie, and Francesca Paola have been in the us for eight years (1897, a match for other records), Stephen for ten (1895), and Carmine and Concetta for twenty (1885).
Pete and his brother Salvatore meet and marry their spouses in the U.S.
According to the note below his baptismal record, Pete marries in New York, at the Church of Carmine, on 20 June 1913, with Rosa di Carlo, daughter of Vincenzo di Carlo and Santa Castro, of Corleone. Their marriage also appears in the New York civil record on 11 June. Rosa is Pete's niece. Pete and Santa Castro have the same father, and their mothers are sisters.
Pietro "Pete" Castro and Rosa "Rose" Di Carlo have three children, all born in Yonkers: Louise (1915), Santa (1916), and Antonino (1919).
Louise is born 1 June 1915 in Yonkers.
In the 1915 state census, Peter Castro, 32, a plasterer, heads a household with his wife Rose, 27, and daughter Louise, 1. Peter has been in the US for 18 years and is an alien resident. Rose, ten years, also still an alien.
Santa, called "Sally," is born 7 September 1916 in Yonkers.
On his WWI Draft Registration Card, Pietro states he is the owner of a macaroni factory. Pietro lives at 170 E 111th St, New York, NY, an address in East Harlem. He is 34 years old, born 2 April 1883. He is still an alien but has declared his intent to naturalize. His nearest relative is his wife, Rosa, at the same address. Pietro is of medium height and build, with brown hair and eyes. Pietro's brother-in-law and second cousin, Stefano la Sala, indicates on his WWI draft card that he works for a macaroni manufacturer at 3225 Arthur, New York, NY, in the Bronx.
Antonino, called "Anthony," is born 3 February 1919 in Yonkers.
According to the 1920 census, Pietro is living with his family and brother Salvatore at 316 112 Street & First Avenue, Manhattan, New York.
He returns to Italy and reentered the U.S. on November 1, 1922 accompanied by his wife, Rosa Di Carlo and youngest child, Antonino Castro, age 3. They travel on the S.S. Patria, which departs Italy at the Port of Palermo, Sicily.
Pietro Castro, a contracting plasterer, declares his intent to naturalize. He is 41 years old. 5’6.5” with brown hair and eyes, weighing 190#. Born in Corleone 2 April 1883. Currently resides at 2165 First Ave, New York, NY. He came to the US on the SS Oregon 15 March 1897. His wife, Rosina, also born in Corleone, lives with him. Sworn 22 July 1924.
In the 1925 state census, Petro Castro, 45, wife Rose, 43, and children Louise, 11, Sadie, 10, and Anthony, 6, appear in a census of the Bronx. Pete is a plaster contractor.
Pietro's family lives at the same address in the 1930 census, taken on April 6th. Peter Castro, age 47, a Plaster Contractor, heads a household. He owns his home, worth $40,000. (Today, that is more than $561K with inflation. This is consistent with real estate values in the neighborhood today. The family has a radio, as do 40% of American households. Living with him are his wife, Rose, 45, and children Louise, 16, Sadie, 14, and Anthony, 11.
Louise marries Dominic Tavolacci (born in NYC 11 March 1907) on 13 October 1935.
In the federal census of 1940, Pietro, age 57, his wife Rose, 54, and their children Sally, 24, and Anthony, 21, live in Yonkers. The children were born in New York. The family lived there in 1935. Pietro is a plaster contractor who owns his own business. Sally is a machine operator in a construction factory, and Anthony is a plasterer's helper in the building contractor business (most likely his father's assistant). Stephen la Sala's family are next door neighbors.
Pietro dies in Yonkers, in Westchester County, and is buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, in the Bronx.
Louise and her husband, Dominic, both die the same day, 1 October 1969 in Yonkers.
Anthony marries Helen Reitano (daughter of Edward Salvatore Reitano and Clementina "Katie" Ferrara, who was born 2 February 1919 in Mount Vernon, Westchester County) in Yonkers at an unknown date. He dies in Temple City, Los Angeles, CA on 24 November 1972. She dies in Yonkers on 9 October 1993.
Sally marries John Falcone (b. 13 Aug 1909 in the US) on an unknown date. He dies June 1975 and she dies the following May, both in Yonkers.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Baptism of Petrus Castro, record no. 161, 3 April 1883, "Italia, Palermo, Diocesi di Monreale, Registri Parrocchiali, 1531-1998," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12332-67504-53?cc=2046915&wc=MG34-SP8:351041801,351041802,351280701 : accessed 02 May 2014), Corleone > San Martino > Battesimi 1879-1883 > image 291 of 354; citing Archivio della Diocesi di Palermo.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Personal communication with Vincent Angelo di Carlo, November 2015.
- ↑ Ancestry.com. New York, State and Federal Naturalization Records, 1794-1929 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013. Record of Pietro Castro. Declaration Number: 146804
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.9 Di Carlo, Vincent Angelo. 2013. "The Di Carlo Family: From Corleone, Sicily, Italy." Accessed online 11 November 2015.
- ↑ "New York State Census, 1905," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSR3-JY3?cc=1463113&wc=Q69N-CGG%3A42719801%2C42719802%2C42983701 : 22 September 2016), New York > Bronx > image 22 of 58; county offices, New York.
- ↑ "New York, New York City Marriage Records, 1829-1940," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24HH-R1K : 20 March 2015), Pietro Castro and Rosina Di Carlo, 11 Jun 1913; citing Marriage, Manhattan, New York, New York, United States, New York City Municipal Archives, New York; FHL microfilm 1,613,793.
- ↑ New York State Archives; Albany, New York; State Population Census Schedules, 1915; Election District: 08; Assembly District: 28; City: New York; County: New York; Page: 86
- ↑ "United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-81XS-SSPB?cc=1968530&wc=9FZB-7M9%3A928312401%2C929062701 : 14 May 2014), New York > image 1036 of 6023; citing NARA microfilm publication M1509 (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).
- ↑ Ancestry.com, 1920 United States Federal Census (Provo, UT, USA, The Generations Network, Inc., 2005), www.ancestry.com, Database online. Manhattan Assembly District 18, New York, New York, ED, roll , page , image 268. Record for Pietro Castro.
- ↑ National Archives and Records Administration; Washington, DC; ARC Title: Index to Petitions for Naturalizations Filed in Federal, State, and Local Courts in New York City, 1792-1906; NAI Number: 5700802; Record Group Title: Records of District Courts of the United States, 1685-2009; Record Group Number: RG 21
- ↑ New York State Archives; Albany, New York; State Population Census Schedules, 1925; Election District: 75; Assembly District: 08; City: New York; County: Bronx; Page: 10
- ↑ Yonkers, New York, City Directory, 1928; Ancestry.com. U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
- ↑ Inflation Calculator. Dollar Times. http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/dollars.php Accessed 5 March 2017.
- ↑ Zillow. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/globalrelevanceex_sort/40.930587,-73.865977,40.928406,-73.869641_rect/17_zm/ Accessed 5 March 2017.
- ↑ Smith, Steven. "Radio: The Internet of the 1930s". American Radio Works. http://www.americanradioworks.org/segments/radio-the-internet-of-the-1930s/ Accessed 5 March 2017.
- ↑ "United States Census, 1930," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-GRZ5-LRV?cc=1810731&wc=QZFW-PHD%3A649437801%2C651860701%2C651912301%2C1589282313 : 10 December 2015), New York > Westchester > Yonkers > image 15 of 58; citing NARA microfilm publication T626 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2002).
- ↑ "United States Census, 1940," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KQB4-LSM : accessed 12 February 2017), Pietro Castro, Ward 12, Yonkers, Yonkers City, Westchester, New York, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 68-130, sheet 1A, line 29, family 7, Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940, NARA digital publication T627. Records of the Bureau of the Census, 1790 - 2007, RG 29. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2012, roll 2867.
- ↑ Ancestry.com, Social Security Death Index (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2011. Original data - Social Security Administration. Social Security Death Index, Master File. Social Security Administration. Original data: Social Security Administration. Social Security D), Ancestry.com, http://www.Ancestry.com, Number 118-01-3146; Issue State: New York; Issue Date: Before 1951. Birth date 3 Feb 1919. No birth place given. Death date: Nov 1972. Death place: Temple City, Los Angeles, CA, US.
- ↑ National Cemetery Administration, U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca. 1775-2006 (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006. Original data - National Cemetery Administration. Nationwide Graveside Locator. Original data: National Cemetery Administration. Nationwide Gravesite Locator), Birth date: 02/03/1919. Death date: 11/24/1972.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Pete by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Pete:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Pete is 30 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 37 degrees from Ole Evinrude, 30 degrees from Abby Glann, 31 degrees from Charles Schulz and 30 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.