Category: 24 Squadron, South African Air Force

Categories: South African Air Force

The South African Air Force No. 24 Squadron was formed in March 1941 when No.14 Squadron and its Maryland bombers were moved from Kenya to Egypt, and renumbered as No.24 Squadron. The squadron then operated alongside No. 39 Squadron Royal Air Force as a daytime tactical bomber unit carrying out bombing sorties against targets in the Mediterranean theatre. The squadron was relocated to Algeria and re-equipped with the B-26 Marauders in December 1943, and in 1944 flew to a new base at Pescara, Italy, before later advancing to Jesi, Italy. The Buccaneer entered SAAF service in 1965. SAAF Buccaneers saw active service during the Border War in South-West Africa, notably at Cassinga in 1978. They flew over Angola and Namibia in the 1970s and 1980s, and attacked SWAPO guerrilla camps with rockets and bombs. The squadron was disbanded in March 1991 at AFB Waterkloof, Pretoria


Person Profiles (1)

28 Oct 1924 Cape Town, Cape Province, Union of South Africa - 12 Sep 2002




This page was last modified 18:39, 26 July 2019. This page has been accessed 32 times.