Category: Camp Shanks, Orangeburg, New York

Categories: Orangeburg, New York | United States Forts, Camps and Bases


Camp Shanks, named after Major General David Carey Shanks (1861–1940) was a United States Army installation in and around Orangeburg in the Town of Orangetown, New York. Situated near the juncture of the Erie Railroad and the Hudson River, it served as a point of embarkation for troops departing overseas during World War II. Dubbed “Last Stop USA,” the camp housed about 50,000 troops spread over 2,040 acres (8.3 km2) and was the largest World War II Army embarkation camp, processing 1.3 million service personnel including 75% of those participating in the D-Day invasion. In 1945 Camp Shanks housed German and Italian prisoners of war. After the war Camp Shanks was converted into housing for veterans with families attending colleges and universities in the New York area under the GI Bill; the settlement, then known as Shanks Village, closed in 1954. - Wikipedia


This category is managed by the Military and War Project in association with the Categorization Project. For assistance with this or related categories ask in G2G making sure to tag your question with both categorization and Military_and_War.


Person Profiles (1)

14 Dec 1926 New York, USA - 05 Apr 1993




This page was last modified 23:01, 16 March 2021. This page has been accessed 186 times.