Category: Finch Township, Upper Canada
Finch was surveyed in 1794 and settled in 1805. Early settlement in the area began in 1785 Finch Township was originally part of the Royal Township of Osnabruck, Finch was separated from it's southern parent in 1798. The hamlet of Berwick was first settled by four Cockburn brothers from Scotland in the early 19th century. Berwick became the administrative home of municipal government in the former Finch Township, incorporated January 1, 1850. Berwick remains the administrative centre of North Stormont. Stormont County was created in 1792. Finc township and village was settled by Scotsmen. Alexander MacMillan was the first settler. In the spring of 1804 four Camerons and four McMillans came to Finch and built cabins. The community took its name from the township, which was named in honour of Lady Elizabeth Finch, .Community centres were: Crysler, Berwick, Finch, Glen Payne. Roxborough Township, Finch Township and the Village of Finch were amalgamated into North Stormont Township. North Stormont is a lower tier township in eastern Ontario, Canada in the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry. The township was incorporated on January 1, 1998, by amalgamating the former townships of Finch and Roxborough with the independent village of Finch.
This page was last modified 10:51, 12 October 2015. This page has been accessed 102 times.