Category: HMS Glatton (1795)

Categories: Royal Navy Ships | Battle of Copenhagen | 1790s Ships | Ships by Name

HMS Glatton was a 56-gun fourth rate of the Royal Navy. Wells & Co. of Blackwell launched her on 29 November 1792 for the British East India Company (EIC) as the East Indiaman Glatton. The Royal Navy bought her in 1795 and converted her into a warship. Glatton was unusual in that for a time she was the only ship-of-the-line that the Royal Navy had armed exclusively with carronades. (Eventually she returned to a more conventional armament of guns and carronades.) She served in the North Sea and the Baltic, and as a transport for convicts to Australia. She then returned to naval service in the Mediterranean. After the end of the Napoleonic Wars the Admiralty converted her to a water depot at Sheerness. In 1830 the Admiralty converted Glatton to a breakwater and sank her at Harwich.

See: * Wikipedia

Notes

Officers and Crew
HMS Glatton (1795)

First NameLast NameRankFromUntil
HenryTrollopeCaptainApril 1795-
GeorgeStephenCaptainNovember 1800-
WilliamBlighCaptain18011801
WilliamNowellCaptain18011801
WilliamBirchallCaptain18011801
John FerrisDevonshireCaptainAugust 1801
NathanielPorlockCaptainMay 18021802
JamesColnettCaptain1802
ThomasSeccombeCaptainMarch 180631 January 1808
HenryHopeCommander18081808
CharlesIrvingCommanderMarch 1808
George MillerBlighCaptainDecember 1808October 1809
R GPeacockMaster18121814

Subcategories

There is one subcategory to this category.

G


People or pages in HMS Glatton (1795)

There are 2 profiles on this category page.

B





This page was last modified 11:38, 3 June 2020. This page has been accessed 240 times.