Category: Lady Penrhyn (1786)

Categories: 1780s Ships | Ships by Name

This is a mid-level category. Profiles should be added to the narrowest category possible, but may be placed here when further information is not known. See How to Categorize.

Lady Penrhyn was built on the River Thames in 1786 as a slave ship.

Lady Penrhyn was designed as a two-deck ship for use in the Atlantic slave trade, with a capacity of 275 slaves. She was part-owned by William Compton Sever, who served as ship's master on her voyage to Australia, and by London alderman and sea-biscuit manufacturer William Curtis.

For her first voyage she transported convicts to New South Wales as part of the First Fleet. On her voyage back to Britain she was the first European vessel to pass by the Kermadec Islands, and the Penrhyn Atoll in the Cook Islands.

She also carried a cargo for the British East India Company (EIC). The French captured her in the West Indies in 1811 and scuttled her. Wikipedia

This is a Ship Name Category for Linking categories grouped by the Ships Voyages

- Voyages to Australia are dated by their arrival date at their final destination in Australia.

Subcategories (1)





This page was last modified 07:24, 25 November 2019. This page has been accessed 40 times.