Category: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Preceded by: Category: Town of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
1623 - Brule named this spot "Sault du Gaston" in honour of the brother of the King of France. 1632 - Champlain draws a map of New France as explored to date and marks the Sault, making it one of the first named places on any map of the New World. 1669 - The Jesuits (missionary priests) re-name this site "Sault Ste. Marie" The Rapids of St. Mary. 1858 - Sault was considered a Judicial District. 1887 - Sault Ste. Marie was incorporated as a town, William Brown being its first mayor. 1912 - Sault Ste. Marie was incorporated as a City. 1918 - The town of Steelton was amalgamated with the City. 1965 - The townships of Korah and Tarentorus amalgamated with the City of Sault Ste. Marie. City consists of Awenge, Korah & Tarentorus Townships
There is one subcategory to this category.
People or pages in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
There are 6 profiles on this category page.
- Jane Ellen (Higgins) Lloyd 15 Jul 1858 Canada - abt 1917
- Benjamin Howell John 5 Jun 1895 Rhymney, Wales - 29 Apr 1919
- Gwladys Johns 29 Apr 1892 Rhymney, Wales - 17 Dec 1990
- Marguerite L. (Wyse) Patterson 1920s - 1980s
This page was last modified 16:49, 17 October 2015. This page has been accessed 62 times.