Category: Viipuri Province (lääni)

Categories: Finland (en)


The Viipuri Province (Finnish: Viipurin lääni, commonly abbreviated Vpl, Swedish: Viborgs län or Swedish: Wiborgs län) was a province of Finland from 1812 to 1945.

Before that, it was called Vyborg Governorate and it was a Russian Governorate 1744-1812, which was established in territories ceded by the Swedish Empire in the Great Northern War. By the Treaty of Nystad in 1721, Sweden formally ceded control of the parts of the Viborg and Nyslott County and the Kexholm County located on the Karelian Isthmus and Lake Ladoga area to Russia.

Before that, these areas were part of the Saint Petersburg Governorate. Vyborg Governorate was established in 1744 when Sweden ceded control of parts of Kymmenegård and Nyslott County by the Treaty of Åbo.

In Sweden and Finland the governorate was also known as Old Finland (Swedish: Gamla Finland, Finnish: Vanha Suomi), and between 1802 and 1812 it was named the "Finland Governorate".

Subcategories (3)





This page was last modified 08:33, 24 September 2018. This page has been accessed 203 times.