- Henry Champion's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Henry Champion was born in England in about 1610 (year of birth based on his age at death). He emigrated to New England by 1647, when he was recorded in Saybrook, Connecticut. Some Internet genealogies indicate that he was born in Saybrook in 1610 or 1611, and may claim that this date comes from Ancestry.com's "U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900," , but this is a misinterpretation of that source (the source does not indicate Henry's birthplace) and it is impossible; Europeans did not settle at Saybrook until 1636.
- 17 FEB 1708/9
- Lyme, New London, Ct.
The gravestone inscription gives the age at death as 97 and the year of death as 1708. 
- Husband: Henry Champion
- Wife: Sarah Bennett
- Date: AUG 1647
- Place: Saybrook, Middlesex, Connecticut, United States
After his first wife's death, Henry was married to Deborah (Palmer) Jones, widow of Lewis Jones. They were married on 21 March 1697/8 in Lyme, New London, Connecticut.  Henry Champion died at Lyme, Connecticut, on 17 February 1708/9, "in his 97th year." The couple had a prenuptial agreement. It provided that "whatever estate Deborah Jones shall carry with her to Henry Champean's habitation shall remain her own," would not become part of his estate, and would be distributed to her children from her first marriage after her death. Additionally, it stated that Henry would not dispose of any of his real estate by gift or sale without his wife's permission and that Deborah would be entitled to the widow's share of Henry's estate after his death. Henry was older than Deborah by about three decades, and a passage in The Champion Genealogy indicates that Henry Champion's descendants believed that Deborah took advantage of him through this prenuptial agreement:
- "[Henry Champion's] second wife was a shrewd, scheming woman, for she induced this old man to make a very advantageous marriage settlement upon her, and finally involved him in a law suit with the widow of his eldest son, who resisted the resumption of the gifts her father-in-law had made her husband, and maintained in a very spirited manner the rights of herself and children."
Children of Henry and Sarah
- Sarah Champion m. Henry Bennett
- Mary Champion m. Aaron Huntley
- Fenner Stephen Champion b. 1653 d. May 1660.
- Henry b.1654. m. Susanna DeWolf
- Thomas Champion m. Hannah Brockway
- Rachel Champion m. John Tanner
- ↑ Trowbridge, page 15.
- ↑ Source: #S11 page link
- ↑ Inscriptions From Gravestones at Old Lyme, Conn. New England Historical and Genealogical Register. v. 77 (1923). page 198. "Mr. Henry Champion, Senr., died in 1708, in his 97th year.
- ↑ Source: #S11 Page: Source number: 94.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Code: RLM. Note: http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&db=worldmarr_ga&h=219915&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt3 _APID 7836::219915 Data: Text: Birth date: 1610Birth place: Marriage date: 1647Marriage place: CT
- ↑ Harris, page 183.
- ↑ Torrey's New England Marriages Prior to 1700, vol. 1, page 294: CHAMPION, Henry, ( -1709, 1708?, ae 98) & 2/wf Deborah JONES, m/2 Henry CRANE, m cont 21 Mar 1697/8, Saybrook, CT/Lyme, CT.
- ↑ Rumsey, page 98
- ↑ Trowbridge, page 19.
- Source: S11 Repository: #REPO1 U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900, by Yates Publishing. Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2004. Original data - This unique collection of records was extracted from a variety of sources including family group sheets and electronic databases. Note: http://trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=sse&db=worldmarr_ga&h=219915&ti=0&indiv=try&gss=pt3 _APID 7836::219915 Data: Text: Birth date: 1610Birth place: Marriage date: 1647Marriage place: CT
- Repository: REPO1 Name: Ancestry.com Address: http://www.Ancestry.com
- Source: S4 Repository: #REPO1 Ancestry Family Trees. Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members. Note: This information comes from 1 or more individual Ancestry Family Tree files. This source citation points you to a current version of those files. The owners of these tree files may have removed or changed information since this source citation was created. Text: http://trees.ancestry.com/pt/AMTCitationRedir.aspx?tid=2410046&pid=215522474
- Harris, Gale Ion. "Henry and Katherine Palmer of Wethersfield, Connecticut, and Newport, Rhode Island." The Genealogist, Fall 2003, Volume 17, No. 2, pp. 175-185.
- Rumsey, Jean, "Two More Marriages for Deborah (Palmer) (Jones) Champion: Henry Crane of Killingworth and Richard Towner of Branford, Connecticut," The Genealogist 18 (Spring 2004): 97-98.
- Trowbridge, Francis Bacon. Champion Genealogy: History of the Descendants of Henry Champion, Saybrook and Lyme, Connecticut. New Haven, Conn.: 1891.
- WikiTree profile Champion-236 created through the import of Tap.ged on Sep 16, 2011 by Richard Draper.
- WikiTree profile Champion-255 created through the import of Hiemstra_Dyer Family Tree.ged.ged on Oct 25, 2011 by John Hiemstra.
- WikiTree profile Champion-368 created through the import of CJB001.ged on Jul 18, 2012 by Christopher Becker.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Henry's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: John Hiemstra and Richard Draper. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Henry is 11 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 24 degrees from Bob Dylan, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 17 degrees from Michael Phelps and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.