Margaret (Chandler) (Monck) Denison, wife of WILLIAM DENISON, was first cousin of William Chandler, immigrant to Roxbury in 1637. William Denison married in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire, 7 November 1603, Margaret (Chandler) Monk. Margaret Chandler married (1) Albury, Hertfordshire, 2 April 1600 Henry Monk, who was buried at Bishop's Stortford 10 December 1602. She was admitted to Roxbury church as member #33: "Margret Dennison, the wife of Willia[m] Dennison, It pleased God to work upon her heart & change it in her ancient years, after she came to this land; & joined to the church in the year 1632;" "Old Mother Dennison" died Roxbury 3 February 1645/6. They had 7 children (all baptized Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire): John, William, George, Daniel, Sarah, Edward, George.
bio by Linda Mac, a quote from a history book.
- Christening: 13 OCT 1577, Bishop's Stortford, England 
- 1st Husband: Henry Monk/Monck
- Wife: Margaret Chandler
- Marriage: 2 April 1600, Albury, Hertsfordshire, England 
- 2nd Husband: John Denison 
- Wife: Margaret (Chandler) Monck
- Marriage: 7 Nov 1603, Bishop's Stortford, England   
- Emigration: on the ship "Lyon or Lion" with her husband William Denison, and three youngest sons 
- Religion: First Church of Roxbury, Massachusetts, joined in 1632 
- Death: 3 Feb 1645/46, Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts, 
- Burial: Old Eliot St. Cemetery, Roxbury, Suffolk, Massachusetts 
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ancestry of William Chandler of Roxbury, Mass., NEHGR Vol 85 (1931), pages 133 - 145
- ↑ Emigrants from Hertfordshire, 1630 - 1640, NEHGR Vol 132, pages 19 - 20
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Volumes I-III, pp 522 - 523
- ↑ A Potter-Richardson Memorial
- ↑ Denison Genealogy
- ↑ Denison Genealogy, page 10
- ↑ Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850
- ↑ Margaret Chandler burial
- See also:
- New Light on the English Ancestry of William Chandler and of his cousin Margaret Chandler, wife of William Dennison, both of Roxbury, Massachusetts, TAG Vol 73, pages 50 - 57, The American Genealogist. New Haven, CT: D. L. Jacobus, 1937-. (Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2009 - .)
- William Denison, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Volumes I-III. (Online database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2010), (Originally Published as: New England Historic Genealogical Society. Robert Charles Anderson, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Volumes I-III, 3 vols., 1995). pp 522 - 523
- Ancestry of William Chandler of Roxbury, Mass., by G. Andrews Moriarty, A.M, LL.B., F.S.A., (complied by J. Gardner Bartlett), NEHGR Vol 85 (1931), pages 133 - 145, The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1847-. (Online database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2001-2013.)
- Denison Genealogy, a Record of the Ancestors and Descendants of James Post Denison, database, Family History Books, extracted from E. Glenn Denison and Harry Emmett Bolton, (Fredonia, N.Y., The Fredonia Censor, 1939), page 10.
- Emigrants from Hertfordshire, 1630 - 1640, NEHGR vol 132, pages 19 - 20, by Peter Walne The New England Historical and Genealogical Register. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1847-. (Online database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2001-2013.)
- Massachusetts Vital Records to 1850, NEHGS, (Online Database: NewEnglandAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2001-2008).
- Repository: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 617-536-5740, 101 Newbury St., Boston, MA 02116-3007
- A Potter-Richardson memorial, database, Family History Books, extracted from Doreen Potter Hanna, book of the same name, (Unknown, Unknown, 1957), page 61.
- Margaret Chandler burial, database, Find A Grave Memorial# 15750213, Created by: Pat, Record added: Sep 15, 2006.
- A record of the descendants of Capt. George Denison, of Stonington, Conn, database, extracted from John Denison Baldwin and William Clift, A record of the descendants of Capt. George Denison, of Stonington, Conn., With notices of his father and brothers, and some account of other Denisons who settled in America in the colony times, (Worcester, Massachusetts, Tyler & Seagrave, 1881), page 2.
- Benton: Benton, Charles Edward, Ezra Reed and Esther Edgerton: Their Life and Ancestry, A.V. Haight Company, 1912 On Archive.org
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Margaret's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: April Dauenhauer and Brian McCullough. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Margaret is 13 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 13 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 22 degrees from Ayn Rand, 19 degrees from Peter Roberts and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.