||Samuel Chapin migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).|
Join: Puritan Great Migration Project
Samuel Chapin was born October 8, 1598 in Paignton, Devonshire, England to John Chapin and his wife Phillipe Easton.  He was baptized October 8, 1598. On February 9, 1623 at Paignton, England he was united in marriage to Cicely Penny, daughter of Henry Penny from Paignton.
Cicely Penny, wife of Samuel Chapin was born at Paington, England and baptized there on February 21, 1601/2. She was the daughter of Henry Penny and his wife, Jane Dabinott. Henry was a baker. He died at Paignton, Devon County, England between April 6, 1630 and May 18, 1630 according to the dates of his will and inventory. Samuel Chapin was one of four persons who took the inventory of his estate on May 18, 1630. Henry Penny's wife Jane survived him. Cicely, Deacon Chapin's wife, died February 8, 1638 in Springfield, Massachusetts.
It is possible that the Chapin family originated in Wales, however, sources reveal that both his father and grandfather were born in England. At the beginning of the book Family History: ancestors of Russell Snow Hitchcock, there is a family tree which indicates that a man named Roger Chapin is Samuel's grandfather, and further pedigree begins on p. 353 of English Ancestry of Deacon Samuel Chapin. Roger was born in England probably before 1540 since he had a daughter baptized at Totnes, England in 1560. In addition to this daughter named Johan, Roger and his wife had four more children, one of which was John Chapin, Samuel's father, who was baptized on September 25, 1566. On September 14, 1590 at Paignton this same John Chapin married Phillipe Easton. Four children were born to John and Phillipe, Joane, Thomas, Samuel and Margaret. Samuel, is the subject of this biography. John Chapin died at Paignton, England on June 3, 1600. Phillipe was married (2nd) to George Stone in 1600/01. He died between 1614 and 1616 and she survived him since she was the executrix of his will.
Samuel Chapin, like many of the men and women who settled New England, came because of persecution, refusing to compromise their passionately held religious convictions. These English Protestants wished to reform and purify the Church of England of the continued Roman Catholicism practices within the Anglican Church. On their part, the Anglican Church and English Crown considered them extremists and insisted that the Puritans conform to their religious practices which were abhorred by the Puritans. Puritan ministers were removed from office and they along with parishioners received savage punishments. For example, in 1630 a man was sentenced to life imprisonment, had his property confiscated, his nose slit, an ear cut off, and his forehead branded with the letters "S. S." meaning Sower of Sedition. As a result of this religious persecution, beginning in 1630 as many as 20,000 Puritans emigrated to the new world from England to gain the liberty to worship God as they chose.
Samuel Chapin and his wife, along with five children came to America together in about 1638. The New England Historical and Genealogical Record states that he came about 1638 and "brought with him from England a wife named Cicely and several children, Henry, Josiah, David, Catherine, and Sarah." At any rate we know they came after October 29, 1637, which was the day his son Josiah was baptized at Berry Pomeroy, Devon County, England.
Samuel Chapin settled first at Roxbury, Massachusetts which had been founded in 1630 by William Pynchon and he was a member of Rev. John Eliot's First Church of Roxbury. Rev. John Eliot is the famous congregational minister who translated the Bible into the Algonquin Indian language and ministered to eleven hundred "Praying Indians" at one time.
Samuel Chapin was "Made free on April 2, 1641," In other words, he was made a freeman of the church. The history of taking oaths to protect the government and the church dates back to before Henry the Eighth when he renounced the authority of the Pope in 1534. At that time an Act of Parliament was obtained declaring him the only supreme head of the Church of England and people were required to take an oath to this end, which included "acknowledgment heartily willingly and truly upon the true Faithe of a Christian..." Later in New England, the charter of the Massachusetts Bay Company unwittingly gave the people liberty to admit new members called "Freemen" of the Company, and no conditions or qualifications were presented. The Puritan leaders were quick to take advantage of the opportunity given them to frame their own Oaths of citizenship. In May 1631, there was the following addition to the oath, "to the end the body of the commons may be prserued of honest and good men, it was likewise ordered and agreed that for time to come noe man shalbe admitted to the freedome of this body polliticke, but such as are members of some of the churches within the lymitts of the same." It must be noted that no where in the Freemen Document is there a reference made to the King's Majesty, or of allegiance to any power on earth save that of their own Government in New England. After taking the oath of a Freeman, men were entitled to hold office, assist in framing laws, and enforce those already made; and all their rights were protected and they became church members.
Most of the families who emigrated came from the west of England and possibly it was because he had friends from there, that Samuel determined to settle in Roxbury. He owned 24 acres of land by 1639, as is shown by the Roxbury land records. He bought a house there in Roxbury His son Japhet was baptized in Roxbury on October 2, 1941 from James Howe It was during this time of his residence in Roxbury, 1636 - 1637, that the Pequot War took place. The Pequot War was essentially a war to control the fur and wampum trade. The Pequots were aligned with the Dutch, and the Narragansett with the English. Following many battles and horrific bloodshed the Pequots lost the war and retreated south. Following the war and the Pequot retreat, it was possible to settle with safety in Western New England.
The winter of 1642 Samuel and his family moved to Springfield, Massachusetts in Western New England.(originally known by the name of "Agawam," where he was a prominent citizen He was a deacon, a constable, a selectman, and a commissioner. He owned land totaling forty-three acres which implies he was probably a farmer. He paid twelve shillings in tax on these acres. He first lived at the corner of the present (in year of Hitchcock book) Main and Pynchon Streets, but by 1664 he was living with his son Japhet at Chicopee.
He was appointed by the General Court of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay to govern (magistrate) the town of Springfield, Massachusetts with the power of a county court and was voted to be one of six people to "lay out the lands...to an hundredth and fifty acres." Further explanation of the position states that on July 26, 1644, Samuel Chapin along with 3 other men, were voted to "...have power to deele in all the prudentiall affaiers of the Towne to prevent anything they shall judge to be the dammagy ye Towne: & in this office they shall haue power for a yeere space & what this 5, or any three of them [shall order] shall be of full forc & virtue, alsoe to here complaints to Arbitrate controversies, to lay out High ways, to make Bridges, to repayer High waies,...to scowringe ye ditches, & to ye killing of wolves, & to ye training up ye children in some good caling or any other thing they shall judge to be to ye pfitt of ye Towne." Samuel Chapin was annually re-elected to this office until 1652, when seven Townsmen were elected, John Pychon and Samuel Chapin were the first two named, and he acted in this office for a number of years, through 1673. In these early days of the colonies, (whether in Roxbury, Springfield, or other towns in New England,) the union between church and state was very close and all the business affairs of the church, such as the building and care of the meeting house, the settling and support of the minister, etc., were transacted at the public meeting, in the same manner as any town business. This union is seen in the matter of the wife of William Webb, who, it seems, was rebuked by the court and officers of Roxbury for weight of goods in the open market, for her habit of lying and shifting. Four witnesses testified against her. For these "grosse sins" she was excommunicated on August 23, 1642. The record states, however, that she was reconciled to the church and thereafter lived Christianly. There was a lot of power in the hands of a few, but it is noted that in Springfield, there was an effort to include all the male inhabitants in the affairs of the town, as in 1665 there was a decision to levy a fine on those men who did not attend the Town meeting or those who left the meeting early. During the meetings, all questions of public policy were openly discussed, and each and every freeman had an equal right to participate in the debate and the propositions were finally decided by the vote of a majority of those present. These meetings had the affect of joining the community into a coherent whole with common purposes. Henry M. Burt states on p. 83 in his book Early Days in New England: Life and Times of Henry Burt of Springfield and some of His Descendants, "In a larger way these assemblages were nurseries of sound political ideas and practical schools in the rights and duties of citizenship...and in these most practical and efficient schools...were educated the men who took a large part in framing our state and national systems of government."
The early Church Records of Springfield were lost, so there is no way to determine when Samuel Chapin was chosen to the office of Deacon, however we know it was prior to 1649, since he is referred to as "Deacon Chapin" when he was granted a parcel of land by Agawam Falls. At a town meeting held February 18, 1665, it was voted that Mr. Hollyoke and Henry Burt, along with Deacon Chapin, should supply the church during the vacancy of a pastor. Thus he peached for several years when the town lacked a minister. The Puritan preachers of the day sought the guidance of the Scriptures in regulating all aspects of the lives of their citizens. For the rest of his life, he is frequently referred to as "Deacon Chapin" in the records of that town.
Deacon Samuel Chapin lived to be quite elderly and having served in governing the town for over twenty years he began handing the responsibilities to younger men in the town and moved to northern part of Springfield (called Chicopee) to live with his son Japhet. In October 1675, Springfield was attacked by Indians and burned. Deacon Chapin did not see the town rebuilt, for about a month later, he died, November 11, 1675 to be precise, as written by his son Japhet, "My father was taken out of this troubelsom world the 11 day of November about eleven of the clock in the eve, 1675." He was buried in the Old Burying Ground, the cemetery that Deacon Chapin was instrumental in establishing in 1645. Years of flooding swept away many of the original grave stones and remains of early settlers leaving no traces of their existence. One Hundred Seventy Three years after the Deacon's death, in late 1848, Five Hundred Seventeen of the remains and headstones were relocated to Springfield Cemetery. The Chapin's remains were not recovered and it may be for this reason that descendant Chester W. Chapin commissioned the statue, "The Puritan" in 1881.
The bronze Chapin Statue entitled "The Puritan" by Augustus St. Gaudens was commissioned by Chester W. Chapin, Springfield's railroad magnate, in 1885 to honor one of the town's founders. The piety and perhaps moral rigidity of the country's religious founders is emphasized by the sculpted proud pose, certain stride, flowing cape and hefty Bible, as well as his assertive use of a walking cane. The statue is 8 feet 7 1/2 inches tall. It was originally unveiled on Thanksgiving Day, November 24, 1887, in Stearns Square, Springfield, Massachusetts and remained there for twelve years. At which time it was moved to it's current location in Merrick Park next to the Public Library in Springfield. In this move, the bronze fountain and pink granite bench that were originally constructed to compliment the artwork were relocated to other parts of the city. The working model of the statue is now owned by the Carnegie Museum of Art.
"Remember the days of old, the years of many generations: ask thy father and he will shew thee: thy elders and they will tell thee." Deuteronomy 32: 7.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
On 9 Nov 2017 at 21:28 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On 9 Nov 2017 at 17:34 GMT Cheryl (Aldrich) Skordahl wrote:
On 9 Nov 2017 at 16:27 GMT Linda (Macintosh) Rodger wrote:
On 9 Nov 2017 at 15:05 GMT Caryl (Short) Ruckert wrote:
On 27 Oct 2017 at 02:28 GMT Cheryl (Aldrich) Skordahl wrote:
On 27 Oct 2017 at 02:18 GMT Christine (Raffo) Zakary wrote:
On 24 Sep 2017 at 02:09 GMT Cheryl (Aldrich) Skordahl wrote:
Vital Records from The NEHGS Register. Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2014. (Compiled from articles originally published in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register.) V. 83, p. 351 - 357.link for subscribers
On 13 Jul 2017 at 22:16 GMT Richard Draper wrote:
On 13 Jul 2017 at 03:14 GMT Christine (Raffo) Zakary wrote:
The sculpture, cast at the Bureau Brothers Foundry in Philadelphia, was unveiled on Thanksgiving Day, November 24, 1887 in Stearns Square, between Bridge Street and Worthington Street - a collaboration between the artistic "dream team" of Stanford White (of the renowned architecture firm McKim, Mead, and White) and Saint-Gaudens - and featured numerous sculptural and landscape architectural details to enhance the sculpture. In 1899 the statue was moved to Merrick Park, on the corner of Chestnut and State Streets, one of Springfield's most important intersections (now part of the Quadrangle cultural center). It has remained there ever since.
This impressive sculpture of the The Deacon can be found next to the palatial Springfield City Library. The base is inscribed: "1595 Anno Domini 1675 Deacon Samuel Chapin One Of The Founders Of Springfield"
On 26 Sep 2016 at 23:06 GMT Cheryl (Aldrich) Skordahl wrote: