Spouse: Francoise Marthe Barton
In 1662, at the age of 18, Joseph sailed to Quebec as a master woodworker.2 These tradesmen often got their passage paid for by committing to work in the service of their benefactor, usually for three years.2
By the time of the 1681 Census of Montreal, 37-year old Joseph and 28-year old Francoise have had five of their total thirteen children. The census records the children and their ages: Marie-10, Pierre-8, Jean-6, Jean Baptiste-4, and Elisabeth-2.3
Joseph lived almost three decades past when Francoise died. He died at the age of 86 in the hospital, Hôtel-Dieu in Montreal.4
1. Tanguay, Cyprien. "Dictionnaire Généalogique des Familles Canadiennes" Quebec, Canada: Eusèbe Senécal, 1871-1890, Volume 1, page 126.
2.Navires venus en Nouvelle-France de 1700 à la Conquête Répertoire des engagés et gens de métier de Chavigneau à Cocquelin des origines à 1699
3. PROGRAMME DE RECHERCHE EN DéMOGRAPHIE HISTORIQUE, Université de Montréal, 1681 Census Record #98054.
4. PROGRAMME DE RECHERCHE EN DéMOGRAPHIE HISTORIQUE, Université de Montréal, Burial Record #51765.
6. Wisconsin Creoles ; Les and Jeanne Rentmeester ; The Chevalier Family ; Pages 224 & 225 : LINK
1. Additional information of interest can be found at Descendants of Jean Chevalier. This information was compiled by Janet Manseau Donaldson, but should be verified before utilization.
2. The King's Daughters (French: filles du roi; filles du roy) is a term used to refer to the approximately 800 young French women who immigrated to New France between 1663 and 1673 as part of a program sponsored by Louis XIV.
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
Joseph is 16 degrees from Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh Mountbatten, 20 degrees from Grace de Monaco, 19 degrees from Henrik af Danmark, 37 degrees from Sālote Tupou, 22 degrees from Liliʻuokalani Kapaakea, 22 degrees from Te Atairangikaahu Paki, 26 degrees from Bhumibol Adulyadej, 18 degrees from Claus van Amsberg, 14 degrees from Jan Sobieski and 28 degrees from Fionnuala O'Connor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.