- Mary (Clark) Chatterton's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Trying to estimate Mary's birth:
- We know she was married to William Chatterton by July 1661, so say 1660-15=1645 or 1660-21=1639.
- She had her last child in 1680 (b. 1640 would make her 40 in 1680.). *Her husband William was 21 by 1646, when he had an assigned seat at the meeting house so born before 1625. Since she was obviously younger than 30 in 1655, we have to conclude he was much older than she was.
- There are no surviving vital records in New Haven before 1649 and she was not baptized until she was an adult.
- James Clark in a tax list estimated to have been written in 1641 has 4 persons in his household implying 2 children. So she was born before 1641.
- In 1655, Mary Clark was in the court records.. "that John Knight corrupted her and she has to much complied with him. She was living with Goodman Judson and wife at this time. At about the same time, she had "unclean carriages" with Jonathan Coventry and Thomas Tuttle. She was whipped for her "sinful folly."
6 Jan 1645 has no basis in known fact. She was born earlier.
Mary Clark married William Chatterton by 19 July 1661, when the birth of their daughter Sarah was recorded.
Mary Chatterton, an adult was baptized 8 Apr 1688 at the First New Haven Congregational Society. Mary Chatterton Sr. was admitted to the church in June of the same year.
Mary Chatterton, widow, died 3 Feb 1722 in Wallingord, Connecticut.
- Sarah, b. in New Haven, July 19, 1661 ; m. Samuel Benton of Hartford.
- Hannah, b. Aug. 4, 1663 ; d. Nov. 4, 1663.
- Mercy b. 22 Nov 164 m. John Francis of Wethersfield. 
- Mary, b. Dec. 12, 1666 ; d. young.
- John, b. Feb. 21, 1668 ; m. (1) Apr. 30, 1690, Mary Clements; m. (2) Mary Peck
- Samuel, b. June 10, 1671; d. 1733; m. (1) Elizabeth Warner; m. (2) Abigail Sanford
- Mary, b. Nov. 29, 1673; m. in 1694, John Hotchkiss
- Joseph, b. June 1, 1676; d. young
- Susanna, b. Sept. 17, 1678 ; m. (1) Joshua Hotchkiss of New Haven; m. (2)Abraham Dickerman
- Hannah, b. Jan. 23, 1680; d. young.
- ↑ Atwater, Edward Elias, and Lucy M. Hewitt, and Bessie E. Beach. History of the Colony of New Haven to Its Absorption Into Connecticut By . Meriden, Connecticut: 1902. p. 110
- ↑ Hoadley, Charles J, MA. (editor) Records of the Colony or Jurisdiction of New Haven, From May 1653 to the Union. Hartford: Case, Tiffany and Company, 1858. 137-139
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 Jacobus, Donald Lines (compiler). Families of Ancient New Haven, Vol I-VIII. and Index Vol IX New Haven: 1931. Reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1974, 1981, 1997. Originally published as New Haven Genealogical Magazine, Volumes I-VIII. Rome, NY and New Haven, CT 1922-1932. pp 292, 293, 408
- ↑ Connecticut Church Records Index: New Haven First Congregational Church 1639-1937. Vol. A-I. Hartford: Connecticut State Library, 1947.
- ↑ Connecticut Vital Records to 1870 "Wallingford" (Online Database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2011.) From original typescripts, Lucius Barnes Barbour Collection, 1928. p. 57
- Source: S105 Title: The ancestry of William Francis Joseph Boardman, Hartford, Connecticut Author: Boardman, William Francis Joseph Publication: The Case, Lockwood & Brainard company Page: p 175 Data: Text: 99. The wife of William Chatterton was MARY CLARK, daughter of James Clarke (No. 198), whom he married about 1660. After the death of her husband she lived some years in New Haven, but about 1717 went to live with her daughter, Mary Hotchkiss, in Wallingford, and died there February 3, 1722. In a document dated March 8, 1688-9, James and Samuel Clark, administrators of the estate of James Clarke, Senior, give William Chatterton, whom they term " our brother," power to act in behalf of his son, Samuel Chatterton, as an heir of James Clarke. [New Haven Land Records, I: 448.] Children of William and Maby Chatteeton. I. Sarah, b. in New Haven, July 19, 1661 ; m. Samuel Benton of Hartford. II. Hannah, b. Aug. 4, 1663 ; d. Nov. 4, 1663. III. Mercy (No. 49). IV. Mary, b. Dec. 12, 1666 ; d. young. V. John, b. Feb. 21, 1668 ; m. Apr. 30, 1690, Mary Clements, and had Mary, Esther, Sarah, and Lydia. VI. Samuel, b. June 10, 1671 ; m. , and had Samuel, Sarah, Elizabeth, William, Joseph, Wait, John, Sarah and Samuel. VII. Mary, b. Nov. 29, 1673; m. in 1694, John Hotchkiss of Wallingford (Cheshire). VIII. Joseph, b. June 1, 1676; d. before Feb. 1, 1699. IX. Susanna, b. Sept. 17, 1678 ; m. Joshua Hotchkiss of New Haven. X. Hannah, b. Jan. 23, 1680; d. before Feb. 1, 1699.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Mary's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: J. Wesley Cleveland, Merilee Burton, Anonymous S, and Peter Ranger. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Mary is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 23 degrees from Bob Dylan, 20 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 15 degrees from Michael Phelps and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.