||Faith (Clarke) Phillips migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).|
Join: Puritan Great Migration Project
||Faith (Clarke) Phillips was related to a passenger on the Mayflower and born before 1700.|
Join: Mayflower Project
Faith Clarke came from Ipswich, England on the "Francis" in April 1634. She is listed (as "Faith Clearke") among those passengers not taking the Oath of Allegiance and Supremacy at the Custom House at Ipswich, due to being under age. Her age is indicated as 15 years in the record. She is listed in the group with John Pease which has made some question if she was Thurston's daughter. However, her relationship to Thurston is confirmed by this court document:
- [1 Jun 1663 Plymouth Court:] "concerning the disposing of the estate of Faith Clarke, widow, deceased, that her daughter, Faith Dotey, widow, shall have a quarter part, or one part of four, of the goods and chattels of the said Faith Clarke, her debts being discharged; and the remainder three parts of four, or three-quarters thereof, shall be equally divided betwixt her [widow Faith Clarke's] two sons, Henery and Thurston Clarke [jr]"
Less than a year after her arrival at Plymouth, she married Edward Doty 6 JAN 1634. In his "History of Plymouth Plantation" completed in 1650, Governor William Bradford refers to her as Edward Doty's second wife. The colony records contain no indications that Edward was married earlier and no clues to the identity of his first wife.
She and her husband had nine children, the youngest born less than two years prior to his death in 1655.
On 14 March 1665/6? she married John Phillips, a widower, and moved to Marshfield where she lived until her death 21 Feb (Dec?) 1675 at about 56 years of age.
Last Will & Testament
Faith's will was proved 8 Jun 1676. When she married second to John Phillips there was a pre-nuptial agreement to ensure her right to care for her children and her property. In her will she stated Faith Phillips the wife of John Phillips, of Marshfield, though weak in body she bequeathed to "my daughter Mary 9 pounds in my son John's hands, to my daughter Elizabeth 6 pounds, to my daughter Mary 3 pounds due by bill of sale, to my daughter Desire 6 pounds, due by my bill of sale and a warming pan. On 4 Nov 1676 letters of administration were granted to her son-in-law, John Rouse, Jr. of Marshfield, husband of her daughter Elizabeth ... in behalf of himself his wife and sisters: viz Desire [torn] and Mary Doten.
Faith Clarke was born about 1619, and died 21 Dec 1675 in Marshfield, Plymouth Colony, Massachusetts. She left a will dated 12 Dec 1675 (MD 3:87-9). She married 6 Jan 1634. (MD 13:83 and Bank's Planters, pp 121-4)
INSCRIPTION ON THE HEADSTONE OF FAITH CLARKE DOTY PHILLIPS
"FAITH, DAUGHTER OF FAITH AND THURSTON CLARKE OF IPSWICK CO. SUFFOLK ENGLAND, CAME IN SHIP ‘FRANCIS’ AT AGE 15 WITH HER FATHER IN 1634; MARRIED EDWARD DOTY OF THE ‘MAYFLOWER’ ON 6 JAN 1634/35; MOTHER OF 9 CHILDREN, ALL BORN AT HIGH CLIFFE IN PLYMOUTH. AFTER EDWARD'S DEATH 23 AUG 1655 IN PLYMOUTH, SHE REMAINED IN HER HOME AT HIGH CLIFFE UNTIL 14 MAR 1666/67, WHEN SHE MARRIED SECOND AT PLYMOUTH JOHN PHILLIPS OF MARSHFIELD AS HIS THIRD WIFE. FAITH DIED 21 DEC 1675 IN THIS CEMETERY (WINSLOW BURYING GROUND). TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF FAITH CLARKE DOTY PHILLIPS. THIS MONUMENT DEDICATED 6 MAY 1989 BY THE PILGRIM EDWARD DOTY SOCIETY."
- Findagrave.com http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Clarke&GSiman=1&GScid=91870&GRid=16705388&
- Marion B. Cushman, Richard Fetzer, Peter B. Hill & Robert S. Wakefield, Mayflower Families in Progress-Edward Doty, General Society of Mayflower Descendants, 1991
- George Bowman, Mayflower Descendent, Boston 1981
- Ethan Allen Doty, The Doty-Doten Family in America: Descendants of Edward Doty, An Emigrant by the Mayflower, 1620, Brooklyn, NY (1897)
- Olive K. Porter, The Doty-Doten Family in America (Porter), Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1977.
- Susan E. Roser, "Mayflower Increasings," Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Publishing Co. (1995), NEHGS #B2-85056
- Charles Edward Banks, "The Planters of the Commonwealth: 1620-1640 Passengers and Ships," Baltimore, MD: Genealogical Pub. Co., Inc. (1972) (Orange FHL 974.w2p, pg. 124)(Public Record Office MSS) (Banks: The Winthrop Fleet of 1630)
- Mary Lovering Holman, Descendants of William Sherman of Marshfield, Massachusetts, Brookline Massachusetts: Harriet Grace Scott (1936)
It is recorded on her headstone that Faith was 15 when she came to America in 1634, which means she had to have been born in 1618/1619.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Faith by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Faith:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Bobbie Hall, Allan Morton, Rob Stafford, Toby Rockwell, Steve Turley, Michael Dean, Bill Domineau, Tom Burnette, and Anonymous Johnson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 1 Aug 2016 at 19:41 GMT Mona (Dickson) Jensen wrote:
On 18 Sep 2014 at 00:00 GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On 25 Aug 2014 at 00:50 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On 19 Aug 2014 at 15:08 GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On 19 Aug 2014 at 01:42 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On 18 Aug 2014 at 21:18 GMT Robin Lee wrote:
On 25 Jan 2014 at 19:55 GMT Bobbie (Madison) Hall wrote:
On 25 Jan 2014 at 17:11 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
Faith is 13 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 8 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 19 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 15 degrees from David Selman and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.